• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Filing down front sight on Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this on another forum. Determines the sight height you need based on the velocity and how the firearm is configured.

I can't seem to paste the excel spread sheet in this post. I may have to send you an e-mail with the spread sheet attached. I found this information on the American long rifle forum. One thing you have to know is the velocity of your load and the distance after you plug in the figures on sights it gives you what the corrected front or rear sight should be. I used it when I had to make a sight for an old Savage pistol.

Zonie said:
Well, at least you didn't say:

The first thing you have to do is to calculate the tangent of Alpha, Alpha being the angle from the line of sight to the hypotenuse of the triangle formed by the actual location of the impact of the projectile.

With the impact being 6 inches from the line of sight at a 25 yard distance, following converting 25 yards to inches we have:

6/900 = Tangent Alpha = .0067, therefore determining Tan ^-1 Alpha, we find that Alpha = 0.382 degrees.

Now measure the distance between the sights and multiply that value times Tan 0.382 degrees.

If the distance between the sights is 10 inches, we have
10 inches X (Tan 0.382 degrees) = 10 X (.0067) = .067 inches. :grin:

(See? Trigonometry isn't that difficult, is it?) :rotf:

Well, that's how I did it before I saw your simpler method.

I use trig and the rather arcane mathematics of spherical trig on a regular basis, so that's what I went to first. You know, to a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail! :haha:

Well it turns out filing the sight down was easy. I gently lowered the blade height to where it is just slightly taller than the one on my other NMA. I then added a new radius on the two corners and I am ready to take it to the range for final adjustments. Thanks all! :thumbsup:

Next time you're shopping for a Remington, look for a full-frame (post 1986) model made by Uberti.

The front sight is dovetailed into the barrel, so its easy to replace the sight if you cut too much off.

I'd recommend using loose measured powder instead of the pellets, especially if they have been discontinued.

In my Uberti Remington New Model Army, I use 18 grains of Schuetzen 3FG, cream of wheat filler, and .454 RB, topped with T/C 1000+ lube. Accurate in the ten ring at 50 yards.

Your milage may vary.

I'd suggest doing as Zonie says for your calculations, but do your own measurements on your pistol.

Some suggest a process of removing 1/2 of the calculated amount on your first try, then shoot a group and see how much the point-of-impact changed. Re-calculate how much to remove, then remove 1/2 of that, and retest. Eventually you'll be making very small reductions in height, but less likely you'll remove too much.

Another set of variables that can change the point-of-impact is how you hold the pistol: sandbags, two-handed standing, sitting with wrist support, etc, plus inherent changes in round-to-round dispersion caused by temperature, light conditions, and ammo. Be realistic in your expectations as you are using a 150+ year old design with sights that by modern standards are crude. Sometimes you need to say "this is as good as it will get!"

Finally got out to the range with my NMA today. It shot several bullseyes at 25 yards, so filing to match the height of my second Remmie worked out fine for me. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back