• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fiberglass Ram Rod for Kibler Colonial

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to shoot out in the woods on my property and was wondering does anyone make a replacement ramrod to protect my wood one. Carrying a range rod is awkward out in the woods. So something that can temporarily replace the wood one on the rifle would be great. I guess I could buy more wood ones, but Fiberglass or someo other material would be awesome some.
Pic of my son shooting said rifle.

View attachment 68432
A good hickory ramrod with straight grain should last at least a thousand shots if used properly. I have one that has gone almost 2 thousand shots, and it does not have quite as much straight grain as I would like.
I must admit that I broke it several years ago through operator error. I very carefully prepped the mating surfaces, and epoxied the break. Many hundreds of shots later, it still works just fine.

There are several things I'll never put down a barrel. Hydrogen peroxide, aluminum ram rod, fiberglass ramrod. I use the gun's hickory rod when hunting and have a brass range rod. The secret no one has mentioned is to keep your rod CLEAN. Any rod can be abrasive if you allow dirt and crud to remain on it. Finish your wood rod to make it easier to keep clean and then KEEP it clean.......... Now I'm sure some are asking about the things I'll never put down a barrel. Hydrogen peroxide is an oxidant. It causes rust. Have I ever had a problem with that or do I know of others that have? No. But I'm still not going to use it.......... Aluminum ramrod. Aluminum wil also oxidize. Aluminum oxide is what is used as an abrasive, think of alox paper used for finishing wood and metal............Fiberglass rod. Never used one, don't know anyone personally that has but I have heard too many instances where others have had problems. Do I want to find out first hand that there's a problem, using my expensive barrels to find out? No.......... But that's just me. You're free to disagree. I'll still do what has worked for me in the past. PS If you want a cheap bore guard, check out the plumbing supply section for those cone shaped seals used in water pipes. 3/8 size will fit most ramrods.

Excellent reminder!
I have always wiped down my ramrod each time I clean the gun. Even when I was a kid.
I also do it multiple times during extended shooting sessions.
Same goes for range rods.

I like to shoot out in the woods on my property and was wondering does anyone make a replacement ramrod to protect my wood one. Carrying a range rod is awkward out in the woods. So something that can temporarily replace the wood one on the rifle would be great. I guess I could buy more wood ones, but Fiberglass or someo other material would be awesome some.
Pic of my son shooting said rifle.

View attachment 68432tractor supply or the equivalent has 48 inch x 3/8 inch fiberglass electric fence posts for $1.59 each. There are also 1/4 inch rods for marking drives and walks. You may need to add rod tips for accessories, just be sure to pin then as well as glue, a rod tip stuck down bore is to be avoided.

Any rod can be abrasive if you allow dirt and crud to remain on it. Finish your wood rod to make it easier to keep clean and then KEEP it clean..........

Yup, not in the habit of tossing my ramrods in the dirt, also as far as brass is concerned I can take a clean cotton rag and round off the crisp sharp edges on single point engraving.

You are dead on! Fiberglass is very abrasive.It will never go down a rifle barrel of mine. I have a home made brass one it is a lot softer than steel and puts very little wear on the barrel.I have used it since the eighties with no problem. My ML shoots just as accurate now as it did when I bought it. If there is any crown wear I haven't found it?Brass ages well and looks like it came with the rifle. Its the only rod I use.
Brass is better than fiber glass if kept meticulously clean but can embed abrasive and become a lap every bit as bad as fiber glass in crown wear. I believe the best loading rods are one piece steel preferably stainless and used with a 1 inch down bore protector guide of Delrin or brass. Also brass rods bend easier than do their steel counter parts.

When you get the hickory rod, soak it in kerosene for about 2wks or more, makes it more flexible.

Back