• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FF in a 45?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grant, do you know what your barrels twist is, and are you shooting balls?
Thanks. Mike.

Grant: I have found that You can use Either FFg or FFFg powder in guns, depending on what the guns shoots the best. You have to TRY them both in your gun, working on loads to see what seems to work best.

The main reason people seem to use FFFg powder is because it supposedly fouls the barrel less. I found that when I screened FFg powder to get rid of both the larger pieces, and the fines, I get clean burning and no more fouling than when using FFFg powder. I also got more consistent velocities from the screened powder than from unscreened.

To really know what your gun likes, I recommend using a chronograph. That way, if you have a particular load of FFg that seems to shoot very well with FFg, you can reproduce that velocity with FFFg powder, exactly, to see if the finer grade powder provides the same accuracy, and if it then offers other benefits to you over FFg.

In a 37 inch barrel, my brother's percussion .45 rifle shoots both 65 grains of FFFg powder well, and a lower charge of 40 grains of FFFg powder. I believe he is going to use the lower charge for targets at 25 and 50 yards, and leave the heavy load for targets that are at 100 yards and beyond.

He has not tested FFg powder, but I think I will convince him to do so, particularly with the heavier load, as it not only barks at the muzzle, but at the butt, too. Its not something that is disturbing each shot, but the cumulative effect over many shots begins to wear him down a bit.

2f and 3f just designate the size of the granuals. It is not the make of the powder. Goex is a brand of black powder that you can get in 2f or 3f. There are other brands too.

Mike: Age does not effect black powder as long as it is kept dry. It is not like modern powders which can break down after being exposed to room air.

I don't think I've seen it mentioned in this post, but the general rule of thumb for shooting patched roundballs is to use FFFg in .45 caliber and smaller and use FFg in .50 caliber and larger.
Obviously there is overlap and what works well in one gun may not work as well in a seemingly identical gun.
That's why shooters should try both granulations in their guns.

zonie

Grant, I guess I have some getting use to hear, my rifle is 1:30, your is 1:66, and my 6BR is 1:8.
And I thought 1:30 was slow, I guess when your shooting balls, you dont really have much to stabilize.
Thanks for the info.
Mike.

Made a "quick" trip to the range. I figured the neighbors might not like me popping a few rounds in the back yard. :cursing:
I have two different powder flasks. One for of FFF and the other for of FF.
One spout will do 26 grains of FFF and the same weight of FF. That makes it pretty easy!
Two spouts of FFF gives me a "snap" when firing a 139 grain patched round ball.
Two spouts of FF with the same weight ball and patch gives me a "push". POI was about the same. Found a patch from the FF and noticed it was "very black". Like maybe it wasn't burning as clean as the FFF? The FF flask dumps just at 28 grains so two dumps comes out at about 56 grains. I'll bump up that load and see if I can get a cleaner burn.
Stuck the ram rod again but figured out what's happening. When I pulled out the rod,the ball and patch came out with it.It was a .018 lubed patch but it's for a 54 /56 caliber ball! The excess wraps around the ram rod tip. My other patches don't have a problem.They are all 45 caliber.
So I'am learning more with every shot. :redface:
On loading I've noticed a rough spot about mid barrel. I'll think on that but maybe after more rounds get fired down range it might smooth out.
I'am learning with every shot fired so all is not in vain! And I appreciate all the input from you folks. :bow: Thanks. Mike.

Back