• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Good deer hunting load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've killed deer that were running, trotting and standing at about every angle. It never mattered to me if the ball stayed inside or exited. But I liked having to retrieve the flattened ball normally resting under the off-side skin. I lost a few while field dressing deer but did maintain a hand full of spent ball. I've always used patched ball for several reasons not the least of which was to see the effect of-and-on the ball at various distances.

This is a mix .45 and .50 caliber balls recovered from several deer. Looking at the photo I can't swear which is which. But "I think" two .50s are on the ends and the .45s in the middle.
Digital-Still-Camera.jpg
Right on! Those RB did their job nicely. I would have liked to have a stash of fired projectiles dug out of critters but been hunting with Maxi Balls for so long I've only been able to find two. They just seem to keep on going.

Once I work up a load for anything and decide that's what I'm going to hunt with, I don't worry about anything else, in terms of the load. Like you, I've taken just about every angle shot there is (minus the rear end) and with a few running, and I always seem to bring home the meat every year. Been that way for well over 40 years.

I'm really looking forward to hunting with RB this year. Hopefully I can add to my next to nothing collection.

I shot a small doe with my .50 calibre longrifle, using 80 grs FFFg, .495 roundball and a lubricated cloth patch. The shot was taken at about 40 yards. The roundball passed through both sides taking out the lungs. A bit overpowered for the size of the doe but very effective.

Back