• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

inexpensive spotting scope recommedations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive spotting with short tripod for using at the range? I borrowed one from a friend for today's monthly shoot and I think it improved my final score tremendously. Thanks

I have a Bushnell Spacemaster, camo version as my grab n go. Not really inexpensive as they do show up on Ebay from time to time. Mine gives me a nice clear clean sight picture. 50 to 100yds with no issue. All that being said, you get what you pay for, so spend a couple bucks and make it worth your wild if you plan on doing shooting events.

I have been looking at this one and wondered if it was any good, only need it for up to 100 yards
My gun club has a 250 yard rifle range. That spotting scope has no trouble clearly showing poked holes at that distance. For 100 yards you will be pleased. Honestly when my wife bought it for me, I wasn't expecting much, but it has been doing the job just fine. It has a retractable sun shade on the objective side too.

Buying an inexpensive scope is a manure shoot. Through my shooting years in rifle and pistol competition I found that for short pistol distances and .22 caliber holes there are lot of scopes that can do the job. When it comes to the high powder rifle shooting then it's a different ball game. Spotting .22 caliber or even .30 caliber holes at over 200 yards you will need a quality high powered scope. They are costly but worth it. The old saying of "buy once - cry once - buy cheap and cry many times". There are good mid-priced scopes that will do OK for black powder guns out to 100 yards but I don't know of any off hand - others can give you better info on them. Good Luck - and save your money for a very good scope you will be happy when you get the better-quality product. ;)

Does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive spotting with short tripod for using at the range? I borrowed one from a friend for today's monthly shoot and I think it improved my final score tremendously. Thanks
Define inexpensive. What's your budget?

If I ever get another one, it will be the kind you sit behind instead of have to look down thru. I still haven't mastered the trick of finding what I'm looking for.

I think you'll be disappointed if your primary criterion is "inexpensive". Scope performance is directly related to price. That being said, if you have patience and keep your eyes open, you might come across a really good scope at a discounted price. I have a Leupold SX-2 Alpine HD 20-60x60mm that I bought at Scheels on sale for about $350. It's a VERY good spotting scope. Good optics and very stable tripod. I've used it for spotting .223 hits (which are VERY small holes) on targets out to 250 yds. It also breaks down and transports easily in a typical two-pistol Plano gun case. Current price at Scheel's is $400. If that's in your budget, I recommend it, because the main reason I got it was because I had bought a cheaper scope that wasn't up to the task, and so I returned it for store credit toward the Leupold.

https://www.scheels.com/p/leupold-s...2682.html?cgid=optics-spotting-scopes#start=1

Well I'm home now and my spotting scope is at the camp. Can't remember the make, but I think it came from Optics Planet too. Seems it was in the $200 dollar range 5-6 years ago. Been very happy with it, but I just use binoculars for BP since I mainly shoot under 75 yards. Had a cheap model before that and it was junk, think it was a low end Bushnell. And my memory is jogging as I type, think the one I have now is a Redfield. It was a closeout sale I believe.

I often see used backyard science astronomy telescopes at auction. But they say anything over 60x is too much for target shooting, Why I don't know. But they seem to all be 60x when dedicated for target work.

Back