• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Feeding a Kodiak .72

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here are some projectiles for the .72 Kodiak double rifle, compared with a .22 long rifle shell and a LYman 57611 minie. From left, .715 round ball, NEI No. 399 .732/835-grain; unknown .73 that weighs well over 1,000 grains. I had four of these and shot three in the Kodiak, but failed to chronograph it.
DSCN0635.jpg

Boy, I'll bet those conicals kick like hell!

You could just borrow my 4 bore if you'd like to suffer. :blah:

Bill, have you noticed any problem with a conical coming unseated from the powder in your second barrel from recoil? There's been a lot of discussion of that on other boards in the past and it's something that has always worried me to the point of not buying the Kodiak till I knew for sure. Apparently it's not a problem with a tight fitting PRB.

I can appreciate their suggestion of ramming the second barrel just to make sure, but that sorta defeats the purpose of having a quick second shot available.

Plink: I never noticed a problem with this, but that NEI conical is such a good match to the groove diameter of the Kodiak that it never seemed a concern to me. That said, if another .72 should pass through my hands I would be tempted to load both barrels and then fire the right barrel several times, checking the left for signs of bullet movement. If you were really worried, you might also shoot a light PRB load in the left first to foul it a bit.
I would probably be more concerned with bullet movement with that 1,000-grain-plus monster slug, with all its inertia.
Might be worth asking Dick Trenk if Pedersoli has any thoughts about this.

Wes: Here in Oregon, we have Texas-sized "squills" and the big conical is used to bark them -- by shooting off the tree at the stump. It's best done with two hunters, one with a catcher's mitt for when the tree starts to fall. Boy, you oughta see the look on their little faces ...

BillinOregon said:
Wes: Here in Oregon, we have Texas-sized "squills" and the big conical is used to bark them -- by shooting off the tree at the stump. It's best done with two hunters, one with a catcher's mitt for when the tree starts to fall. Boy, you oughta see the look on their little faces ...

Funny you should say that! Did the same thing to one of the Texas variety of limb-chickens! He went up about a 8" diameter pine as was cussing me out in squirrel! I let the tree have a .70" ball from my old Potsdamer musket about head high of that raucus varmint and he must have had his chin against the trunk for he did a back-flip into the "nickle bleechers"! Catcher's mitt would have been singularly appropriate! :rotf:

Back