• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First hog with the Pedersoli Kodiak .72

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
First let me say this was so far from a perfect hunt. I got to the property and verified my zero 1 inch high. Both barrels were about an inch horizontal from each other. The last couple days I left my hunting red lights on since they have a dawn and dusk feature. The big boar has been showing up around 930 pm
I am. East of my bait spot ..and ground blind. We had a south east wind 14 mph
The hogs normally come in either north or south as a major trail crosses my bait set up. About 1017 I heard sticks cracking then a loud woof I looked up the big boar was about 9 yards. In front of me and he busted me as he came from the North East he growled. At that moment ..i through the 72 up I couldn't see my rear sight. There was no time to turn my light on squeezed the trigger all heck broke out . caught a eating Size pig. Running. From right to left. My 72 left barrel roared and the pig dropped in its tracks. Got out looked for blood on the big boar. I noticed a small sapling that was about 4 inches in diameter had a round ball through it. I couldn't see the sapling I was concentrating on the hogs body. The hog I recovered was perfect eating sized ..the 500 grain round ball made nice hole through him
Although I messed a shot by not hitting was my first time hunting with my .72. The big 72. Was a heavy rifle. To be carrying. Bound and determined to find. A 12 gauge with colander bores as they weigh a lot less than the kodiak
FB_IMG_1558200541689.jpg
FB_IMG_1558200556964.jpg

At the distances you shoot, a SxS 12 ga. with .690 or .715 patched round balls should be quite lethal even if the barrels were poorly regulated. My 2 SxS shotguns shoot one barrel close at 50 yards and the other off by 3-5 inches. At shorter distances the difference would be less.

My CVA shotgun weighs less than 7 lbs.

Man do you get close :cool:
yes sir
At the distances you shoot, a SxS 12 ga. with .690 or .715 patched round balls should be quite lethal even if the barrels were poorly regulated. My 2 SxS shotguns shoot one barrel close at 50 yards and the other off by 3-5 inches. At shorter distances the difference would be less.

My CVA shotgun weighs less than 7 lbs.
yes sir I bought a side by side 12 thought it was cylander bore I put a digital caliber and around 690 or so. now it will be my squirrel gun and turkey

Man do you get close :cool:
yes sir when I get close the odds are a little better except for missing the bar last night measured in mere footsteps. when and shot the 72 right on the money. ill bet I snapshot and sent the 500 gr over hid back into the sapling. ive been after that pig awhile. I should have brought one of my 54.s my poor .50s get left at home other then a pig with my 50 flintlock and my or Thompson center black mountain 50

Back