• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Feather weight Flinlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanger

40 Cal
Reaction score
What are the lightest flintlocks available?
Looking for a new deer gun, enjoy my Seneca but would like to go strictly flintlock. Thanks

Rifles are going to be heavier than reproduction trade guns, generally speaking. Caywood's trade guns are pretty light weight. If you aren't set on shooting rifles, that might be something worth looking into.

My Woodsrunner came in lighter than I predicted at 7 lbs.
A .45 SMR would be lighter

Attachments

• Resized_Resized_20230802_095721.jpeg
    Resized_Resized_20230802_095721.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 0
Ditto the SMR in 45, for a rifle, for a basic ‘lightweight style’! Less I have a 40-cal that’s lighter with a swamped barrel, but it’s not ‘MZL deer’ legal in all States.

If going smoothie, a Rob Miller 48” barrel 62-cal Carolina type ‘G’ weighs in at only ~6-pounds!

For Florida we have a .30 cal minimum for deer. My Seneca comes in at 5.7lbs, would like to be close to that. Do the smr come in straight or swamped barrels?

For Florida we have a .30 cal minimum for deer. My Seneca comes in at 5.7lbs, would like to be close to that. Do the smr come in straight or swamped barrels?
You can hunt deer with a .32 caliber muzzleloading squirrel rifle in Florida?

Or is that minimum .30 cal. for cartridge guns?

If you like the TCs you may want to look for a TC WMC. Pretty rare bird in flint, but you could fairly easily convert a percussion to flint (need lock and breech plug). I have two WMC percussion in 50 caliber, one is just over 6lbs, the other just under 6lbs as I recall. Believe factory spec was 6.5lbs, presumably the weight difference is because of wood density and/or stock shape variation.

Rifles are going to be heavier than reproduction trade guns, generally speaking. Caywood's trade guns are pretty light weight. If you aren't set on shooting rifles, that might be something worth looking into.
I have a Caywood .62 flintlock fowler with a 42" barrel. I put a sling on it for easy carrying when I'm just tramping along the trails. It weighs in at almost exactly 6 lbs. No rear sight, but I have taken deer with it out to about 50 yards. With a load of shot it doubles as my small game and turkey gun. I like it!

My .45 Seneca is lighter than the Crockett .32. Will have to start looking out for a swamped 40 maybe.

Same gun in a bigger caliber will be lighter, provided the same barrel blank is used which I would figure to be the case for production guns.
Is the gun you have and like available in a bigger caliber and in flint?

I just finished a half stock 45 this weekend. 6lb 4 oz. 36” barrel. Very comfortable rifle.

Attachments

• FFA2840E-7B86-4BBD-8E7F-3EFDC341E9F3.jpeg
    FFA2840E-7B86-4BBD-8E7F-3EFDC341E9F3.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 504EF082-FEFA-4457-9432-4CBB0AFC75BB.jpeg
    504EF082-FEFA-4457-9432-4CBB0AFC75BB.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
Back