• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Factory Antiqued Patina vs Debluing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always figured a new gun should look like a new gun. The wearing of the finish should be from use. They earned all those nicks, and slight imperfections. They show the travels through life. This grip nick came from the time "she" was bumped into the big oak tree out back. The wear on the cylinder comes from all the time "she" was in and out of the holster. The bit of paint on the sight is from trying to see the sight better (it's not the guns fault I can't see the sight any more). It's the wear and tear they earned throughout thier life. Just as people do. A natural finish is earned throughout life better is much better than the fake one that covers up (just like people).

Brady said:
In shopping for my first BP revolver I have really been drawn to the antiqued patina look but am put off by the price. After numerous searches it seems that I can achieve the same effect by debluing the barrel and cylinder with vinegar and applying a very light/patchy patina of gun browning... Has anyone tried this? Please share pics and explain the process you used if you have.
Thanks,
Brady

Who would buy be a new car and then make it look like car from the Texas Gulf Coast which has faded paint, rust holes behind the wheels and a ripped interior from abuse?

I cannot share pics as I do not make a new pistol look old by ruining it.

Why just not buy an ugly pistol instead of making one?

"Why just not buy an ugly pistol instead of making one"

I own a pair of "original" finish Cimarron's and like they effect. I also own a few in regular blue and am getting a pair in charcoal blue. It's an color palette like engraving and plating, a different metal treatment, some people like it and some don't. Personally I like the "stripped down" finish as I think it shows the lines of a pocket police to good effect.

I suppose it isn't all that different than a "new" 32 ford street rod left in primer to look like a 1950's primer rod? Why not paint them and make them look pristine? Who in their right mond would want a "new" car in primer and not paint? And why do the show up on covers?

After receiving my Pietta Navy today I definitely won't be touching the finish on this one. She's a beauty and I couldn't be more pleased. I still like the steel finish especially on an 1860 Army. :wink:

Thank you all for your input. You've given very compelling points for both sides of the fence. I think if this turns into a collection then one or two of them will have a steel finish.

I can't fathom how someone thinks an old Colt percussion gun is ugly.

Like I said, some folks love those old guns but don't want to pay $2000 for a gun they can't shoot. So for a few hundred you can have a new gun that looks like an old gun but shoots like a new gun. Best of both worlds but some folks will never understand.

Back