• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colts Silver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I probably should put this in the Gun Builders Bench forum but, I know that many of you pistoleers don't visit there and I think you might enjoy reading this.

As most of you know, Colts pistols almost always had some sort of scene roll stamped on their cylinders and the Italian reproductions do a very good job of duplicating this feature.
One of the other features of all of Colts pistols made between 1848 and 1873 on his Civilian guns was that they used silver plating on the brass parts such as the backstrap and trigger guard. This feature the Italians usually omit on their reproductions.
The Military issued guns and most all steel guns made in London did not have silver plating.

The models of Colt pistols that had silver plating are the Civilian Dragoons, the 1848 Baby Dragoon, 1849 Pocket Revolver, 1851 Navy (all except London steel grip), 1861 Navy, 1862 Police and 1862 Pocket Navy. (Flayderman's Guide)

With this in mind I started thinking, "I have some silver Bolo ties, I wonder if I could make some sort of acid solution and use a battery to transfer some silver from a tie to the brass parts so they would be silver plated?"
I started digging on the Internet and found that this idea had a severe problem.
All of the commercial silver plating that uses electrolysis also require cyanide!
I will mess with a lot of things but cyanide is one that I refuse to be around. Just a drop of it can kill you.

My next thought was, "I wonder how much it would cost to have these brass parts silver plated?" After talking to a lamp shop that specializes in silver antiques I learned the name of the Plating Company they use and the lamp shop owner said they were the lowest price in town. This commercial plating is fairly thick and will last a long time.

The Plating Company guy was very nice and said he would be glad to plate the backstrap and trigger guard for only $49. For any additional gun it would be another $49 (plus tax).

Back to the Internet.

There are several different home silver plating products available and the price is fairly reasonable. These are non-toxic so they are totally safe for us home gunsmiths to use.
They all share several things in common. They do not require the use of batterys and they all work on copper, brass and bronze.
The copper, brass or bronze creates the electrical power to move the silver ions from the solution to the surface of the part. The only problem with this is that as soon as the part is covered with a layer of silver, the battery no longer exists so the rest of the silver in the solution refuses to be deposited on the part. This means the plating thickness is VERY thin.

If your interested in silver plating one of your guns using one of these solutions you need to know that they do not work on steel parts without first plating them with copper. If your still interested in this or just curious, read on. :)

I ended up at a company called METAL BRITE PRODUCTS. www.metalbrite.net
They offer a silver plating "kit" for about $25 or a "refill" for about $20 (plus shipping). I chose to buy the "kit" and within 4 days the mail delivered it to me.

This "kit" turns out to be the bottle of solution, a pair of rubber gloves, a "applicator" sponge and a "polishing cloth" along with some "instructions".

As with any surface treatment on metal parts oils, waxes and corrosion will slow or prevent the treatment from working correctly so all traces of any of these must be removed.
Also remember that the silver coating is only one silver molecule thick so the surface condition that exists before plating is exactly the way it will look after plating (except for the color). Put another way, you can not plate the surface and then polish it to make it shiny.
Because of this be sure to polish the surface to a mirror bright condition before applying the plating.

I used some wet/dry sandpaper to sand out a few rough places which the factory had missed, then polished them with a polishing disc on my bench grinder and some "stainless" compound, removed the waxes from the compound with lacquer thinner, washed them dried them and I was ready.

The instructions that came with the "kit" said to wash the part with soap, rinse and dry it. Then put on the rubber gloves, shake the bottle, apply the "lotion" to the applicator and immediately rub it on to the part. Then rub briskly and buff with the polishing cloth.
I followed these instructions and rubbed for 5 minutes. NOTHING!
Just about the time I was getting really Pi$$ed I changed my method.

Rather than putting the "lotion" on the applicator I poured a bit of it directly onto the parts surface. It instantly turned black. :)
This is GOOD. The silver looks black while it is still in solution but by rubbing the black solution with my rubber gloved finger the silver was deposited on the part. :)
After completely coating all of the surfaces that would be exposed when the gun was reassembled I washed it, dried it and repeated the "pour it on and rub it in" method with my finger and then rewashed it, dried it and lightly buffed it with the buffing cloth.
Remember, after every bit of the surface is silver plated additional applications will do nothing except to waste the "lotion" so rather than trying to add more silver, save it for another gun or another project.

After reassembling the gun and looking at it I can see why Colt used silver plating. It really stands out with the Walnut grips and the color case hardened frame.
IMO, it is much nicer than polished brass.

In case you don't know, silver is a very active metal and sulfur will instantly react with it to form a black color so it is a good idea to use a quality paste wax to cover all silver plated surfaces before shooting your gun.

On the plus side if the plating does get damaged from shooting or from handling the 4 ounce bottle of "lotion" is enough to plate over 8 guns and you will have a lot left over.

If I were to start over from the beginning I would just buy the 4 ounce "refill".
Thin rubber gloves and some clean soft cotton cloth will do everything the "extras" do and by not ordering the "kit" you will save the cost of the shipping and handling.
Silverplate.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Zonie, great read and an interesting project. Nice trio of revolvers!

:hatsoff:

Years ago I wanted to protect the silver plated brass backstrap and triggerguard on a then new 2nd Generation Colt 1851 Navy.

Cleaned and degreased the parts then spray painted them completely with clear lacquer. This looked good for a while, but over time dark grey, blackish tarnish spots developed under the clear lacquer. The lacquer did prevent wear of the silver plated surfaces.

Perhaps I made some mistake in the prep work which allowed the tarnish to form under the clear lacquer or...? :confused:

I do like the look of tarnished silver plate or brass with mellow patina on guns which are used. Gives the guns character.

Robert: I doubt that you could have done anything better than spraying it with lacquer.

I mentioned using wax for protection only because it is more traditional than nitrocellulose lacquer but when is all said and done the lacquer would do a better job of protecting the silver.

Kid Maverick: Thanks. Another picture? I just happened to have one.

This one has the little .31 cal 1849 at the bottom. I do think the square backed trigger guards are neat.
Compared with the 1849 Pocket Pistol and the 1862 Police that 1851 Navy looks pretty impressive doesn't it? :rotf:
Silver-004a.jpg

Boy-and I thought I was cheap. How much labor went into that? Would like some follow up in the future to see how it holds up. I have had both Nickel and Silver plating done commercially in the past and thought it was worth the price, and I am not one with a lot of disposable income. Your end result looks good and if it is durable, the economics are right :hatsoff:

How much labor?
If I had just disassembled the pistol grip and the trigger guard (no need to remove the barrel etc.) and then degreased, washed the parts and applied the silver it would have taken about 15 minutes of my time.

On the other hand, the 1849 trigger guard needed several areas sanded and repolished to remove nicks and rough areas that the factory didn't finish as well as they might have.
I spent over 2 1/2 hours fixing those little faults so, to answer your question I guess it would depend on how nice the owner wants his silver plated gun to look. :)

Zonie, thanks for sharing your methods and your guns, too. Just a thought....you say the metal forms the "battery" for depositing silver from the solution. Do you think that if you connected a battery to the grip frame and the solution that you would get a thicker plating? Of course the part would probably have to be immersed. I have an older Lyman '60 colt that has either a plated grip frame or it is german silver; haven't really checked that part out. I know there is a test for silver, but don't know what exactly it is, maybe nitric acid? I also could remove the trigger guard and put a tiny scratch on the bottom side to see if I can see any brass showing.

mazo: I don't personally know if using a battery would add any extra silver or not.
All of the posts I've read on other sites about using a battery to increase the plating thickness with it say it doesn't work.

Zonie said:
mazo: I don't personally know if using a battery would add any extra silver or not.
All of the posts I've read on other sites about using a battery to increase the plating thickness with it say it doesn't work.
Thanks, like I said, just a thought.

I thought I might mention one other good thing about silver plating your Colts brass parts.

I can't begin to count the number of people who decide to build one of the difficult kits offered by TOTW, PR, MBS and others who post things like,
"I can't wait to get my Dremal Power tool to use on my $850 box of parts. I can just see myself whizzing thru that build! I especially can't wait to see how it does carving those little scrolls and things!" Of course the experianced builders say things like, "Don't even get that Dremal close to the stock!" and "A Dremal is good for a few things but in the wrong hands it is a dangerous tool."

Well, if you decide to silver plate your trigger guard and grip strap, you now have a very good use for that Dremal. :)

Using the 1/2 inch diameter felt buffing wheel that screws onto the little arbor that looks like a wood screw along with some "Stainless" or "Chrome" polishing compound after sanding the rough places out of the parts with some 320 grit paper cuts the time required to create a mirror finish down to 5 or 10 minutes. :grin:

Now you can honestly say, "Honey, I really need this tool!

Those look really nice, I've used the Metalbrite before but never on a firearm.

If you want to compare it to an original. Here's an original silver plated civilian 1861 Navy Conversion, you can see where the plating has rubbed off around the edges on the backstrap around and below the trigger.

61 Colt Navy

Braskan: Thanks for the photo. :)

The reason Colt didn't make a 1851 Navy in .44 caliber is he sold quite a few 3rd Model Dragoons to the general public.
Unlike the Military version of this gun he silver plated the brass trigger guard and backstrap for the Civilian version.

As I have a lot of the Metalbrite Silver solution left I decided to "Civilize" my 3rd Model Dragoon.
Dragoon.jpg

I think the powder flask's brass helps the silver trigger guard show up a little better.

WOW, that looks nice. I have always liked the Silver on my 61 Navy. This well keep me out of trouble for a few days! Wonder how a Hawken would look do up in Silver?

Now you've done it.....gonna just have to get me some of that stuff. :surrender: Like I NEED another project, but it should be fun and fairly quick.

Back