• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Factory Antiqued Patina vs Debluing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brady

32 Cal.
Reaction score
In shopping for my first BP revolver I have really been drawn to the antiqued patina look but am put off by the price. After numerous searches it seems that I can achieve the same effect by debluing the barrel and cylinder with vinegar and applying a very light/patchy patina of gun browning... Has anyone tried this? Please share pics and explain the process you used if you have.
Thanks,
Brady

Thanks Im happy with it. Just rub it with the pad till ya get the dullness you want. I tried to make it look like holster wear as much as I could :thumbsup:

I would recommend just using and handling it a lot and carry it around in a loose holster while working out side, camping or fishing. It will get the "used" look in no time.
If your in a hurry just spill some Tabasco sauce on it. :wink: MD

Why would you want to remove the blueing or even have "factory patina"? I guess I don't understand why. If you bought a gun back then, or if your portraying someone from back then you wouldn't want that, thiers was new.
The only reason I can think of removing is because you want to fool someone into thinking you have an original.
Please educate me as to why?

I was gonna say the same thing when I first saw this thread and then walked away from my post, but now that the topic has been breached...

Why?

I must not 'get it'. But I am attracted to shiney and sparkely. A rough looking gun isn't my style I guess.

Oh I definitely would not want to fool anyone, I'll leave that to the shysters. I just find it personally appealing. And since I'm only going to use it for plinking I want to have something that I will cherish. I just can't help but find the finish on this gun dead sexy:
http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/p...ted-cylinder-44-cal-8-in-model-ca041-cim.html

The price, however.... Not so much. :grin:
I should also add that if you saw my collection of old commie rifles, you would probably understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not out to fool anyone. Its just a look of old single action revolvers that I like. I cant afford and old original so I done the next thing with mine. I dont ask or tell anyone to do this to theirs. It just boils down to what anyone prefers. I like my steaks rare when I can get one but the next guy might want his well done. All in what ya want

I'm starting to get the impression it's like a mayonnaise or mustard sort of thing. :wink:

Poor Private said:
Why would you want to remove the blueing or even have "factory patina"? I guess I don't understand why. If you bought a gun back then, or if your portraying someone from back then you wouldn't want that, thiers was new.

While it's true that things started out new not everyone bought new - there were also plenty of USED items both bought and carried so no not everything everyone carried was new..

Poor Private said:
If you bought a gun back then, or if your portraying someone from back then you wouldn't want that, theirs was new.
I see, and can you tell us at what level of wear or at what age in weeks, months or years that those people "back then" disposed of their guns and bought another new one to maintain that new look?
And guns where as they are now expensive, it's not every person "back then" that had disposable monies to by new.

That said I also prefer new to me and personal patina added as years pass, but many prefer an aged look to their gear right away.

It all boils down to what Brady said
it's like a mayonnaise or mustard sort of thing.

Funny thing is a few weeks ago at a show here in town a feller had a few original Colts, I've seen him before and ask to handle a 51 Navy, it had an aged/worn blue to it,(very little blue left). As I handled it I held the barrel close and took a whiff, "
I said "There it is,"
He asked what?
"Copper."
He just smiled. It was actually well done. His guns where in the $1400-1800 range. It was neat to hold the history.

Why? Because those old guns have an appeal all their own but not everybody wants to drop a couple thousand on a relic made of soft steels, with a pitted bore.

I had a 1860 Colt Italian, that someone buggered the screws up. I decided to file them and reblue, one thing lead to next, out came the steel wool and sanding pads. I sanded the grips and oil stained them. NO one ever paid any attention to the pistol until I worked it over, I had try to sell it before I "stressed" it, and couldn't get 150. for it. After antiquing it, I took it to a gun show, and sold it for 200.; before I could get in the door. I told him it was a fake, he looked at me like he'd struck gold, I think he believed it was real, and that I didn't know what I was talking about. I don't have any pics, but it really did look cool. I hope he wasn't going to try to scam somebody with it. I wouldn't do this to my ROA's or 2nd Gen. Colt, but if I had a Uberti, I'd do it again.

I think unless you really know how to do this you can make a real mess. I've also seen it done on lousy blue jobs to cover up the fact that who ever did it screwed up and then tried to make it look on purpose.
I have a close friend that should know better and brought a single shot rifle for me to look at his antiqued rust blue job. I knew the man who did the work and although quite knowledgeable about such arms has no mechanical talent at all.
The gun looked like it had leprosy along with assorted scratches and dings added, probably with a chain and ball peen hammer. MD

It does look spiffie! In they had had that available on the 1860 commercial I wouls have bought it. The Charcoal blue is stunning but I fear fragile. Geo. T.

I guess it's what makes this sport so attractive to all of us. I like shiny and new too but there is something almost magical about seeing an old gun that shows wear it draws me like a moth to a flame. If only I could hear it's story. That is what drew me to this sport in the first place. Old is good. LOL

Those finishes look good on actual 150 year old guns. But if you were going to portray a person of that period, you have to remember that at the time they were carrying that gun, it was not 150 years old and did not have a 150 year old appearance. I'm sure it had wear but that was about all. However, if you just want your gun to look 150 years old, you can disassemble it and go over it with a bluing remover to get it back to white. Then you can use some of the cold blues and some steel wool to make it look more like what you want. You will need to use a bit of browning solution here and there to give it a slightly rusted look. It will take some practice and some artistic talent to get exactly what you want but keep at it and do not get discouraged if your first attempt is not as perfect as you saw it in your head. Sometimes it is the "put it on, cuss it and take it off" routine that will ultimately give you a look that you like.

I agree that when the guns were new, they'd look new. Also didn't see where you were going to portray a period character either. If it's just that you're in the "what-the-heck" mode the quickest way to get that look is to soak or wipe the metal parts with Naval Jelly. Not only can you watch all the blue go bye-bye, but the color case hardening as well...don't ask me how I know! The point being, the jelly is acidic enough to finely pit the metal surface leaving the soft grey color with no metallic shine. The gun will look like the photo from Cimarron, but you'll have to rub the grips with 0000 steel wool to kill the shine of the finish. Just keep the metal surface oiled enough to prevent rusting at warp speed with no outer finish. Good luck.

I like to look at those old guns and imagine what they looked like the day the first person took possestion of the piece. That fresh look is what they looked like when they were new.
I imagine how flawless, shiney and new it musta been.
When I see reproductions and they look really old I am left wondering 'who are you trying to fool?', then it is followed up with 'well that ain't what they looked like, that thing looks like a relic'.

Cynthialee said:
I like to look at those old guns and imagine what they looked like the day the first person took possestion of the piece. That fresh look is what they looked like when they were new.
I imagine how flawless, shiney and new it musta been.
When I see reproductions and they look really old I am left wondering 'who are you trying to fool?', then it is followed up with 'well that ain't what they looked like, that thing looks like a relic'.
I'm with you on this only I wonder about a few other things also, such as what prompted the purchase, where it was bought, what the existing social structure and area development was at the time, what hands it went through in its "heyday", etc. Stuff like that intrigues me, but I am a little goofy I guess. :idunno:

Back