• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

F I E

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlimoges

36 Cal.
Reaction score
You never should have helped me post pictures.I have another gun with questions. Is this copy of a Navy colt? It has F I E on the top of barrel .
100_0435.jpg

Yes, but it would be my guess that it's not an original, but a recent repro. Are there any other marks on it?

One could say it was a copy of a 1851 Colt with a brass frame or one could say it was a engraved copy of a Confederate Schneider & Glassic of Memphis, Tennessee.

Colt never built a brass framed revolver and Schneider & Glassic was one of the very few Confederate companies that built a brass framed copy of the 1851 Colt with an octagon barrel.

Most of the brass framed Confederate Colt copies like those from Griswold & Gunnison (Macon, Georgia) used a round barrel rather than an octagon barrel.

If you wish to shoot your brass framed pistol keep the powder loads on the light side like 15-18 grains with a .375 diameter lead ball.

You don't say what cal. I'll assume .36....
It's not a Navy or a repro of a Navy as it doesn't have the engraving of the Naval battle scene on the cylinder.
I would say, given the brass frame, that it is a repro of a Confederate pistol as Zonie said.
Is there a date code on it? See this link for a breakdown; http://www.powderhombre.com/mbpproofmarks.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it is a 36 cal.The interesting part is that it could be a copy of a schneider& glassic. The engraving also adds to the whole story When I bought ita few years ago ,the guys at auction thought it was poor copy of a colt navy.Now I can see why.The date code is XXVI .I think that puts it at 1970. Thanks for all the info.

If your making up a story about it then sure, it could be a engraved Schnider & Glassic. :)

Then again....The Italian company that made the gun very likely never heard of Schnider or Glassic let alone that there was a Confederate gun company with their names on it.

They have, on the other hand, made brass framed versions of Colt's 1851 for sale as their low cost pistol sense the 1970's.

I kinda like the Engraved Schneider & Glassic story. Maybe something about a presentation pistol given by the troops to a brave and intelligent officer who got them out of a Union entrapment? :hmm:

Hey, I have a Schneider-Glassick .31 Pocket pistol...actually, a CVA brass framed Wells Fargo...

Firearms Import and Export Corporation was based in Miami, Florida. They imported various firearms from different countries and distributed them using the full name of the company or the abbreviation FIE. As far as I know the company is no longer in business.

Buddy

Back