• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Entry Level Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc623

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have used Bp off and on for the last 35yrs.
I have become more interested in the last 5-8 years.
I have been limited to percussions.
I am interested in moving to or expanding into flintkocks.
This question has probably been asked before so bare with me.
What would be a good - $200.00 to $400.00 - production grade make and model and mfg?
At this point I am not interested in a custom made flintlock that I would be afraid to take into the woods/brush.
I am looking for a reliable hunting rifle.
This would be used mostly for deer at less than 100 yd range.
I am not picky at this point as to synthetic stock or plane jane stock as I could do a restock at a later date.
I don't want a lot of fancy adornments that have nothing to do with function.
I have always valued the input that I have received from here in the past.
So now that I have opened the can of worms; there is room for any and all opinions/comments that are hopefully based on actual field/range experiences.
Thanks in advance.

The first inexpensive, high quality gun that comes to mind for me is Lyman's Great Plains Rifle. It's available in flint and has a good lock for the price. Traditions makes a number of flintlocks in that price range also, but their locks leave much to be desired. The Lyman is a rugged and accurate gun and is a great choice for hunting. Also, you aren't stuck with a horrid plastic stock. They have nice walnut stocks.

You might also look around for a used T/C. They can often be found in that price range and they have very good locks. Their lifetime warranty makes them a great choice too.

I bought a used Cabela's Hawken in flint and it is a good rifle. The bonus is that the Lyman Trade rifle flint barrels are a drop in match so now I have a 50 and a 54 barrel for it. The Lyman rifles are good rifles too, either the Trade model or the Great Plains version...the same company makes them for Cabela's and Lyman.

Doc I go along with Plink. Both the TC and the Lyman are very good production guns. You can also get replacement barrels for both and change caliber if you wish.
Price wise check the auction sights over the past week or two there have been several of each for under $300 you just have to look.
The group I shoot with use both and It would be a roll of the dice as to which is the best. TC would win with there warrenty but Lyman looks better.
Fox :thumbsup:

I have to cast my vote for the Lyman. I have two .54 GPRs, one flint and one percussion. The GPRs are a very good looking rifle that is solid and a straight round ball shooter. They have a 1 in 60" twist barrel. Lyman also has the Trade Rifle in flint. The Trade Rifle has a 1 in 48" twist barrel for ball or conicals. DNR Sports has a good price on the Trade Rifle: http://www.dnrsports.com/acatalog/D___R_Catalog_Lyman_Muzzleloaders_649.html . For a GPR you might consider a kit. They are very easy to assemble. Midsouth Shooters has the best price on GPRs and the kits: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ . Either way, I wish you the best of luck :thumbsup: .

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a flint Lyman Trade rifle and I love it. If you want a no frills accurate, reliable hunting rifle, the Trade rifle would fit the bill.

Took someone's advice and started looking at auctions.
Has anyone heard of a TC Hawkin with double set triggers that is 'Barrel has 3/8" flats on octogon barrel'? Tha seemsa little small to me when most are 15/16 or there about across the flats.
May I just don't' know enough.

Here is the complete description:
Up for auction is a "USED" THOMPSON CENTER ARMS 50 Caliber Flintlock, HAWKIN Model. As you can see from the picture, it come with a PEEP SIGHT making this rifle very accurate. Barrel has 3/8" flats on octogon barrel. This gun has seen very little use and is in great condition. Please look at the pictures. Any questions, please ask. "BUY-IT-NOW" and shipping is FREE in the lower 48 States. "BUY-IT-NOW" PRICE $275.00 See spes below for more information on this rifle. T/C Hawken Blackpowder Rifle $579.99 If purchased NEW. Save hundreds and BUY-IT-NOW. Undoubtedly the most copied rifle in the history of firearms, the T/C Hawken was designed for the American shooter. This is a top quality firearm, every bit as the one your great, great granddaddy carried across the saddle pommel or packed along on the wagon train. It captures the romance of the original but it is manufactured to standard of quality control that were unheard of in the early 1800's. The proper use of investment castings, improved methods of hardening parts and deep hole drilling, the use of continuous Magnaflux process to guard against imperfections. SPECIFICATIONS: Stock: American Walnut Caliber: .50 caliber Barrel: Blued Barrel Length: 28" Twist: 1:48" Ignition: Side-lock Trigger: Fully Adjustable Double Trigger Weight: 8.5 lbs. Overall Length: 45-1/4"

How does this one sound?

Like you doc, I've been around black powder for a long time. When I first started 25 years ago, I bought a T/C hawken that a friend of mine bought new. Used it for years, got all the dings and dents out, refinished the wood in low gloss oil and browned the barrel - she looked beautiful. But she had 2 problems - best group I could get on roundballs in the 48 twist was about 6-8 inches at 100 yds. When I loaded her, I had to just about use a hammer to drive the load down the last few inches of the barrel. My state allowed only prb's and flint locks at the time so when T/C came out with the PA Hunter with a 66 twist, I snapped one up. Price was high but I wanted to drive tacks. Well, no load I ever tried grouped much better than the hawken did, the thing has to be swabbed every 3rd shot or guess what - you got to use a hammer to load it! Top of that, it ate the best flints money could buy - just shattered them. Wore out 3 frizzens in 10 years of not much shooting. Heard how the new T/C lock solves some of these problems so I sent the old lock in and they gave me a new one. Now I got a 12 pound trigger pull to deal with.
I once believed the T/C quality claim but do yourself a favor - buy the Lyman and spend your time shooting instead of trying to make the gun shoot right. If I haven't convinced you, I got a T/C you can buy.

I really like my Dixie Gun Works Tennessee Mountain .50 flint rifle, but I understand they are no longer making them.
I have a Lyman GPR in percussion that I also like to shoot -- accurate. I am pleased with the quality and figure the flintlocks shout be as good.

Yeah ya used the words cheap and good in the same sentence.

They dont apply to flintlocks.

There good threshold is about $700

The cheap is under that.

I spent a few years messing with cheap locks, never again.

I bought a used .50 T/C Hawken flinter several years ago and love it. It shoots better than I can hold it. Since I got new glasses I actually do quite well in the club shoots. I have no way to compare it to other flintlocks, but I'm very satisfied with my bargain gun. graybeard

I bought a new TC 50 Flint lock off a GunBroker auction. I gave $450.00 plus $25.00 shipping. I have had no problems with the gun. It is a new old stock rifle that came with the new style lock before they went with the QAL (SP) If you buy one off an auction look at the lock if it is the old style you may have problems. Round Ball helped me figure out the difference it he sees this post he might still be able to post the pics that show the difference.

Good luck with your choice the Lyman GPR is also an excellent rifle for the money.

just how does one tell the difference between and 'old lock' and a new lock?
Thanks

I'm going to guess that he meant that the width of the flat is 3/8, not the width across the flat. A very odd way to desrcibe it.

An exact 3/8 wide barrel flat would be on a octagon barrel that was .905 across the flats.

A 15/16 octagon measured across the flats would have a flat width of .388. That's only about .013 larger than 3/8 of an inch so it sounds like a tiny mistake was made using the old ruler. :grin:

Back