• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Engraved Trigger Guard

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRB

75 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
pennyknife192_640x480.jpg
[/img]
Just finished this guard. The last of the parts to be done. A couple or so coats of finish on the stock, and the gun will be finished.

If you mean anywhere near correctly, very recently. My first attempt was 1977. It was a dismal failure, but equall to some original LR's I've seen. There was not enough info available then, without going to a formal school for it. I did a couple of small pieces afterwards that where a bit better, then no more until a few years ago, when I built my second longrifle. The engraving was not that great then either, but much improved. I gave up the push graver, and went to hammer and chisle. That was like night and day for me. About three years ago I did another longrifle, then a yeager, and did much better after watching tapes from Lynton McKenzie. That is pretty much it until I started this project. I still have a ways to go. I do not consider my work all that good, just good enough for 18th c. America, and early 19th c. If you were ever able to see a Ron Ehlert gun up close, you would see the difference. That man was a real engraver. Once you kinda get the hang of the tools, design becomes one of the hardest areas to master.

Great work!Did you put black laquer in the grooves and wipe it off to bring the engraving out?

So did you ever go back to the push graver? I've never mastered it. I'm pretty good with a chasing hammer but that push work just baffles me. I'm definitely at that point where the design part has become the hard part. Looks like you've done a real fine job of figuring that out, congrats.

Dick

I have found the push graver very useful for cleaning up ragged areas, fine shadeing,ect. I also use a flat push graver for nick and dot, although on this piece, I had to use the square to do the nick and dot on the forward tang. I did not have manuver room for the flat. I can see where the square would do N+D in a neater fashion than the flat, but would take more time. I still have a lot to learn.
Pyrodex, that is Derusto flat black. Wipe on,wipe off.

Where can one find those videos?

How about doing us a tutorial of your techniques like Mike Brooks did with his?

C'mon Wick, Tell us what it's going on. You did a fine job on the engraving. Can't wait to see the rest of the gun.

Back