• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

English Walnut, prices and sources

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col. Batguano

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Gents,

I'm giving some thought to a next build. Thinking about an ESR, or possibly a full-stocked gun like a recreation of one of Dave P's fowlers--masterful work. Looking around the net, there are literally thousands of stocks out there--mostly as suitable for modern bolt guns. Would most of those stocks be suitable for half-stocked ESR's?. When you go on up to full length stocks, the choices seem to narrow considerably. It seems that Gobi Walnut is a top choice there. Also, it seems that really high end English Walnut runs well over double the price of highly figured sugar maple. It would be quite possible to spend $2000 on a chunk of wood if you really wanted to (but I don't)! Since the wood figure provides most of the decoration in English runs (along with metal engraving), and carving is less emphasized, it would seem to make sense to be even more selective when making those choices.

Hi David,
Dunlap Woodcrafts often has long English walnut blanks and so does Ron Scott. Also, consider giving Jim Kibler a call. He sometimes has EW blanks that he sold separate from his kit guns.

dave

Are those modern rifle half-stock blanks that are around on the net generally suitable in size and configuration for a half-stocked ML'ing gun?

Back