• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Elk Tag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done well in unit 8 for the cow hunt, the terrain is easy and plenty of elk. This is a perfect hunt time as the weather is usually very good. Even hunting within about a mile of the Raphael fire area, and having to camp within the restricted roadways, after getting about 100 yds off the road, never saw another hunter. You get the satisfaction of listening to many bugles, enjoying a wonderful hunt and taking home some great meat. I usually use Casey's processing in Flag...good honest people. Good luck on your hunt (leave us with a story)!

My picture is on Clear Creek above Payson.... 11 yrs in AZ and no tag. Now in North Idaho and mostly to crippled up to hunt much. Still going out for whitetail this fall.

Looks like you are really enjoying yourself in your picture! AZ is tough,but I have been lucky enough to draw every 3 to 4 years. At 73, my body really felt the strain this year of taking a cow elk on a solo hunt. I will likely also be resigned to chasing Coues, javelina and turkey if I have to hunt alone. Just being out there is great!

YEP, I often shot a small buck/bull/cow when larger ones are present with that very thing in mind (and young ones taste better and I am a MEAT hunter).
I am in the same frame of mind…I no longer have that need to take those mossy horned bulls, I fill my freezer with the best meat a nice fat cow can provide.

Hey Old Oak, this picture was on a solo trek because the other 5 guys who were supposed to be there all flaked out. Well one broke his ankle, so he had a good excuse. Returned to the same spot a year later with two of my brothers and my grandson.. great time in a beautiful spot...

Shooter 1....Clear Creek has some beautiful spots,nice solo time, even better with others we know. Is it true that northern Idaho is straight up and down? (Or just rumored?) :dunno:

Not straight up and down, but a lot of "can't get there from here" spots. 40 miles as crow flies, but 150 miles by road.... and that's after snow melts.

About 25 miles south of Winslow Az. near east sunset mountain has been where my best elk hunting memories over the years were made. A neat area.

Back