• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Did you draw? Colorado

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I usually fire up a topic on this each year to kinda get myself and others talking about the upcoming season.

I didn't draw the bear tag but im happy with the point. My deer strategy was to apply for something impossible and get a point plus get my second choice. NOT šŸ˜€. My second choice had leftover tags last year but not this year.

Drew the elk tag and planning to hunt with a grandson who lives out of state. He drew the elk and deer!!

What are you planning?

Moose. Starting off with my 54 lefty Lyman GPR. Got a 4th rifle buck tag too. Cancelled my Wyoming deer app after drawing CO moose, and sitting out CO elk for the first time for the same reason.

I drew late season blacktail (ML hunt) and my local OTC deer zone (mulie/blacktail hybrids). Points for all the other ungulates (elk, pronghorn & sheep). Bear tag & some good opportunities for those during deer season. Overall, same as usual. Might have less time to hunt this year, however. We'll see.

Did you go for the specific ml bear tag or the rifle bear?

I applied for bear but nada. It's all good. Plans are too much in Flux to work it in.

Did you go for the specific ml bear tag or the rifle bear?

I applied for bear but nada. It's all good. Plans are too much in Flux to work it in.
I think nuthatch is not talking about Colorado since he mentions blacktail. Colorado tip, always get the rifle bear tag if you can since you can hunt a longer season and still use a muzzleloader or you can use a rifle (or handgun) over the muzzleloader dates. Cost me a big black bear the evening before muzzleloader elk once.

Last edited:
I tried hybrid draw with 25 points but struck out, Same with my Son who has 15 points. Now we have one more point each for next years try. Will be going archery over the counter up by Steamboat!! Both have 12 points for Mule Deer but havenā€™t done nothing with them as of yet!

Wowser. I am not familiar with a point system. Years ago when I lived in CO we could buy our tags over the counter.

Here in KY we have to put in for an elk tag. Its about like trying to win the lottery.
You buy a point each year for the animal you want to hunt (separate from the license tag) it is supposed to give you an advantage as the points add up in the tags to be drawn. Where actually it's just another way for the state you want to hunt to get more of your money. There's a thing called point creep where each year say a unit in the state you apply for, last year you could draw a tag in that area with say 0-1 or 2 points it is now 3-4 points required to draw and still no guarantee you will get a tag. And each year after that the required points keep going up. My first hunt in 2018 took 0 points for antelope, now it took 2 to hunt Antelope this year, and drew mule deer on 1 point (surprised me) and this is an area in Wyoming that is very difficult to access public hunting ground, pretty much locked up by private ranches. We are fortunate as we have access with a private rancher that we hunt in years past it has been good hunting, we pay the rancher a fee for what's called a trespass hunt, I have talked to fellow hunters that applied for the same area and tags on a lot more points and did not draw. WESTERN HUNTING IS FAST BECOMING A RICH MANS GAME AS THIS WILL BE MY LAST TIME HUNTING WYOMING EXACTLY FOR THOSE REASONS. When a guided antelope, mule deer hunt with an outfitter approaches 4-5 thousand dollars for a four-day hunt plus the cost of tags, points, travel and other occurred expenses Its time to re-think the game for a Non-Resident hunter.

Wowser. I am not familiar with a point system. Years ago when I lived in CO we could buy our tags over the counter.

Here in KY we have to put in for an elk tag. Its about like trying to win the lottery.
Colorado still has OTC tags for certain Units and seasons. It can get confusing. I usually put in for a unit I know I won't get just to accumulate points and then either grab a leftover tag or OTC Tag

Colorado still has OTC tags for certain Units and seasons. It can get confusing. I usually put in for a unit I know I won't get just to accumulate points and then either grab a leftover tag or OTC Tag
I usually do the same. Some of the units I hunt can be a guaranteed draw of second choice so first choice for the impossible and second choice for a sure thing. This year it didn't work because of a reduction in deer tags for my second choice unit.

The secondary draw is open for applications as of today.

You buy a point each year for the animal you want to hunt (separate from the license tag) it is supposed to give you an advantage as the points add up in the tags to be drawn. Where actually it's just another way for the state you want to hunt to get more of your money. There's a thing called point creep where each year say a unit in the state you apply for, last year you could draw a tag in that area with say 0-1 or 2 points it is now 3-4 points required to draw and still no guarantee you will get a tag. And each year after that the required points keep going up. My first hunt in 2018 took 0 points for antelope, now it took 2 to hunt Antelope this year, and drew mule deer on 1 point (surprised me) and this is an area in Wyoming that is very difficult to access public hunting ground, pretty much locked up by private ranches. We are fortunate as we have access with a private rancher that we hunt in years past it has been good hunting, we pay the rancher a fee for what's called a trespass hunt, I have talked to fellow hunters that applied for the same area and tags on a lot more points and did not draw. WESTERN HUNTING IS FAST BECOMING A RICH MANS GAME AS THIS WILL BE MY LAST TIME HUNTING WYOMING EXACTLY FOR THOSE REASONS. When a guided antelope, mule deer hunt with an outfitter approaches 4-5 thousand dollars for a four-day hunt plus the cost of tags, points, travel and other occurred expenses Its time to re-think the game for a Non-Resident hunter.
Plenty of tags can be had in Colorado and Wyoming with 0-1 points at reasonable base license cost with millions of acres of public land for DIY hunts. Nebraska has a full month muzzleloader season with very cheap non resident tags and some solid public land if a guy wants to put in a little work. Lots of resources to find accessible public and private open to the public. Iā€™ve done all of these hunts and the cost was minor compared to what we might spend money on over the course of a year.

Latest posts

Back