• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lymans great planes rifle barrel, want more twist.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim Bob

32 Cal
Reaction score
Muzzle loader novice, I have a very nice Lyman GPR with a 1:60 (ish) twist. I drew a Muzzle loader tag this year for a cow elk in Oregon. I'm thinking a greater twist would be better all around for this hunt.
are 1:48 or 1:24 barrels available?

Thanks all from Oregon

The Great Plains Hunter model were available in faster twists. You've got to know if you have an Investarms or the Pedersoli built Signature series. I have my Uncles Investarms with a 1:32 and a kit Pedersoli built one with a 1:48 twist. I've seen 1:24 Hunter model barrels as drop in replacements. Others on here prob have more insight on the Lyman offerings over the years.
Having said that I peruse various sites looking for stuff like this frequently. The GPR stuff can be hard to find. I see more of those pop up on the classifieds here than anywhere else. Short of ordering a custom barrel a second rifle could end up being easier to find than just parts.

@Kim Bob, check your state's hunting requirements for muzzleloading projectiles. The round ball should be adequate for elk up to 100 yards. If you feel you must be using a conical bullet, the Lee Precision REAL bullet in 54 caliber and 300 grains is short enough to stabilize in your 1 in 60 (most likely Investarms) rifle. At $45, the REAL conical bullet is far cheaper than a new barrel and bullet mold.

If you have an Investarms rifle, there are replacement barrels with a faster twist that are interchangeable with your barrel.

My rifle is a 50 cal, it is an Investarms rifle I built from a kit back in the day. (mid to late 90's??) sounds like I need to search for investarms.

Muzzle loader novice, I have a very nice Lyman GPR with a 1:60 (ish) twist. I drew a Muzzle loader tag this year for a cow elk in Oregon. I'm thinking a greater twist would be better all around for this hunt.

Thanks all from Oregon
Good luck finding one. I too, have a Lyman GPR that I would like to find a faster twist barrel for, but I have not been successful at finding one. Word is, they are not available. If you happen to find one, please post up.

I shot some lee reals that I cast this weekend. 380 grain in my gpr 1 in 48 twist 54 cal. Did really well. Shoots round ball great also. I know it's been said but a roundball does really good on elk. My last elk was at 90 yards and the 54 cal ball passed through and she dropped right there.

I'd be shooting some of the conicals in the barrel I have now before spending money on another barrel? It might shoot great.

I agree with the other guys here. Try a short chunky conical out. Dixie used to sell one called a Ballet that my uncle used in his .54 cal. 1:60 for many a year to take whitetails with.

The Great Plains Hunter model were available in faster twists. You've got to know if you have an Investarms or the Pedersoli built Signature series. I have my Uncles Investarms with a 1:32 and a kit Pedersoli built one with a 1:48 twist. I've seen 1:24 Hunter model barrels as drop in replacements. Others on here prob have more insight on the Lyman offerings over the years.
Having said that I peruse various sites looking for stuff like this frequently. The GPR stuff can be hard to find. I see more of those pop up on the classifieds here than anywhere else. Short of ordering a custom barrel a second rifle could end up being easier to find than just parts.
So which one would the Lyman GPR be, Investarms?

Thanks all from Oregon
You shootin' balls or bullets? That is a round ball twist. If yours is a .54 round ball will work fine if you are ok with that. .50 might work as well depending in range and shot placement.

Race what you brought to the track! A 50 or 54 caliber with 1:60ish twist with a round ball will kill anything in North America. With a faster twist you’ll lose accuracy with a roundball and need a conical. 1:48 is ok for roundball but faster isn’t. Don’t overthink things. Worry more about shot placement than fiddling with conicals.

Back