• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Elk antler pipe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, that discoloration on your meerschaum is highly desirable - it's called "seasoning" and is one of the great things about meerschaum pipes. It's a result of the heat and residue of repeated smoking, and that's why it comes out uneven - repeated, uneven heating and cooling.

I once read of a 19th c. englishman who determined to "perfectly" season his meerschaum pipe, and arranged for his tobacconist to keep the pipe in use around the clock by consecutive smokers, for days on end. As I recall, he was thrilled with the resulting color, less thrilled with the bill for weeks worth of labor...

I'm a pipe smoker/collector and have meerschaum pipes. That would not be a desirable job IMO. I guess you could say being a professional pipe smoker really sucks!!

Back on topic. I have seen pipes made from many things. The only horn pipes I have ever heard of are for that funny baccy!! I can't imagine pipe tobacco....Especially Virginias not burning into the horn.
Not saying it ain't so, but deer horn has gotta suck big time in the taste department :barf:

I guess if you break it in very slowly...anything is possible

Kentuckywindage said:
I've been using this one for about 5 years now. I love it! My best smoker.
Pipe002.jpg
So did you take a long time breaking it in?
I really like your pipe.
As a pipe smoker, I would like something other than a tavern pipe or corncob for using at rendezvous.

Sorry for not reading the first few posts before responding. Seems my question has been answered. Now I just need to find one of these bad boys.

I see the tamper (nice touch), but what is the other object....A cap?

ive seen several fellers around here smoking deer horn pipes . but if a deer horn pipe smells like theirs did i dont want anything to do with it ! :grin:

Jeesh!! I have spent thirty years trying to get the patina on my meerschaums. :wink: One was beautiful...gave it away. The one I use now isn't smoked enough. :idunno:

The real challenge is to smoke a clay pipe enough to develop a patina!! without breaking it! :hmm:

While the antler is bone rather than hair like a horn..... you certainly don't want to smell or inhale the smoke from the horn itself so the lining/cake is crucial!! :nono:
re the moisrure.. you can always put a plug in the bottom or front of the bowl... :applause: If you put a plug in the front you can run a pipe cleaner type tool through the bore to clean it periodically like a pipe hawk. :thumbsup:

leadpot said:
Kentuckywindage said:
Pipe002.jpg
So did you take a long time breaking it in?
I really like your pipe.
As a pipe smoker, I would like something other than a tavern pipe or corncob for using at rendezvous.

Sorry for not reading the first few posts before responding. Seems my question has been answered. Now I just need to find one of these bad boys.

I see the tamper (nice touch), but what is the other object....A cap?

That other object is a elk horn button to keep the leather thong tight on the antler. The leather thong broke some years ago so it just dangles on for now. Been meaning to repair that. This pipe certainly have been my all time favorite, be hard to replace it!

The Elk Song Pipes that were referred to earlier are, in fact, beautiful, hand made one-of-a-kind pieces. I've been lusting after one since I first saw one years ago. But....they are really briar pipes. The tobacco/smoking bowl is a piece of briar that is carefully fitted into a piece of Elk Antler. The best of both worlds.
Meers - Paul: Leave it alone. Let it season. If the gourd in the calabash becomes too tarry for you, that can be cleaned with an alcohol soak. It will stink!! Tarry deposits on the inside by the draw hole of the meer insert can be burned off with a match. leave the rest alone.
Here's a pic of an antique Talon and egg meer with an amber stem. It was once white. Great little smoker.
clawmeer.jpg
[/img]

meerschaum is supposed to get dark as it is used. you really cant ever get the color change to come out. the stone is a mineral that loves to absorb the byprofucts of smoking. as a result the color becomes part of the stone.
however you can clean it easily provided no metal is used whatsoever. the finish is a wax based one that can be damaged easily. lots of plain isopropyl rubbing alcohol or you can use everclear on it. just insides.

horn/antler is not mineral in anyway. its BONE. thus its just like the rest of the animal its found on and can possess any disease the other parts of teh deer can due to the fact it has blood flow until the velvet falls off.

as a result its not smart to smoke it. sure it can be nice to play with and make buttons from, but its not something you want to be burning and inhaling. its like, although its common in stores leaded crystal really isnt something to use for constant alcohol consumption as the lead is dissolved from the crystal via alcohol.

Kentuckywindage said:
Pipe002.jpg
How long of a smoke do you get out of a full bowl?

Back