• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

EIG '51 Navy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim C

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just bought myself a nice old brass frame '51 Navy for $50 made by an Italian co., EIG, back in 1967. I bought it completely disassembled. Upon inspection of all the parts it doesn't appear to have been shot very much, no metal wear, no rust, nor bluing wear either, but a real nice patina for a near 50 yr old piece. It also appears to be a very well made piece, fit and finish being excellent, at least as good as Uberti and Pietta. I checked it out and it's worth between $125-$150. The middle frame screw is missing but I have one on the way. Can't wait to shoot it :grin:..... One question......It being a brass frame, will it hurt it to shoot a full chamber load of 3f behind a .36 cal ball?

This one is tight as new and I aim to keep it that way, so 15 gr charges it is. Just out of curiosity I'm wondering how much more a steel frame 51 Navy will stand. I may get one later on. I like the size of them, they're just about right for my liking.

Thanks bp. I'll cut down a 38 case till it holds 15 grs and just keep it at that. I have a jug of Puff-Lon I use for BP cartridge filler. I suppose that'll work just as well in a cap n ball pistol.

Here is a EIG steel frame 51 I bought in 1969 for my brother for Christmas. He has shot that gun until it wore the internals out that was about 7,000 rounds ago after he retired it in the 70's. I referbished it for him about 2 years ago and it is still going strong. One thing that I noticed is that the frame size is a bit smaller than 1851's made now a days.

Where did you get the parts for it? Not that I need any, but you never know. Looking at parts for the Uberti and Pietta's on the DGW website it looks like they would all interchange with one another. It is noted that some parts will even work in the original Colt revolvers. But, if as you say, the older EIG's frames are slightly smaller than todays pistols, they may not interchange.

I think 15 grains of powder is a good plinking load. You could go up to 18 grains if you wanted and still not over stress the frame. By the way, you can buy a powder measure from any of the on line vendors that sell black powder supplies, they are pretty cheap. Have fun with your new shootin iron.

Don

The few parts that I replaced were parts for a Pietta and they were modified to fit - hope this helps :v .

Back