• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Easy Dutch oven pies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickey Brown

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This is a very easy recipe for cooking crumble top pies in a Dutch oven
2 cans pie filling of your choice
2 Pkgs. soft oatmeal cookies, crumbled
1 stick butter
Melt butter over slow heat
add pie filling to DO
cover with crumbled cookies
pour on melted butter
Bake for 15-20 minutes until cookies are brown and filling is bubbling

A handful of small stones & a pie-plate, placed between the bottom of the DO & the food, works WELL to keep baked goods from browning too much on the bottom.
(That's how I keep my fruit/cream pies from burning.)

yours, satx

For your salivary acceptance
pie_zps0c078701.jpg

I'm impressed. I've cooked enough to recognize a good job when I see it, and that's a good job.

Spence

VERY NICE.

Should you wish to "feed a crowd" (Like A Company, 10th LA Inf, PACSA) "on the cheap" & get "rave reviews", I'll share my G-G-G-Aunt Lalia's famous chicken pie recipe with you.
(That recipe likely started out as a DO recipe.)

Note: One thing that "endlessly fascinates" me is that people are "overwhelmed" & astounded that I can easily cook "plain, ordinary pizza" in a DO.
(I found a plain 18-inch pan that fits my bigger DO. It has one inch sides & works GREAT.)

yours, satx

The BEST thing about cooking pizza outdoors is that you can get the temperature MUCH hotter than a typical home gas/electric stove's oven.

just my opinion, satx

UNDERSTOOD. = Once we get settled in Latin America, I plan to build a traditional QUINCHO out of COB, FIRE BRICK & a little cement.
(Having eaten/cooked baked goods & roasted meat from a quincho, when I was stationed with the OAS team, I can assure you that they are GREAT for baking/roasting/etc.)

yours, satx

And I was so proud of my beans and weinies over an open fire! ....NOT ANY MORE!! lol That's some good lookin' stuff there.

Hangfire,

BE CAREFUL of learning to cook (OR at least letting anyone know that you can), as you may find yourself cooking MUCH more than hunting at deer camp.
(At least that's been my experience.)

yours, satx

Lord have mercy, y'all. That all looks sooooo good. Yum-O!!!! The rub is that I am on a diet trying to loose a few pounds. A few pounds....Hah! The doctor tells me that I need to loose about as many pounds as a small Viet Namese family weighs. I gotta get out of here. :haha:

Back