• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early morning coffee

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NORD

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all,

When early morning trekking I am thinking it would be great to start a small fire with my flint and steel. Warm up some water with my tin cup, slosh around some coffee grounds wrapped up in some cotton cloth, then sit back and enjoy with some jerky.

What do you all think? I am totally up for some suggestions!

Is it a good idea to warm water in my tin cup or should I resort to purchasing a boiler or tin coffee maker? I am just trying to keep things light and simple so I don't feel like I am carrying the entire house just to go for a little trek.

Any suggestions would be great!

:thanks:

Tin cups work great as long as you don't put too much heat to them and NEVER let them boil dry or you'll melt the solder. That will really ruin you morning cup of coffee

When it comes to hiking/treking I figure the lighter the better.I bought a boiler/mucket.I did fix up some rice and jerky in it once.I think I could have done that in a large tin cup. :m2c:

I dunno if I have this right...but I recall reading once one can use the belly of a deer for example and as long as there is water in it you can use it as a container to heat the water..I forget if you have to use a rock that was heated in the campfire or if you just have to be careful to hang it high enough. Either way..collapseable pot. Just add the grounds and go for it. For that matter...do what I and some buddies of mine did, this was with one of those old granite ware coffee pots without insides...we just kept adding more grounds each day..only emptied it and started fresh on Sunday. :)

I recall reading once one can use the belly of a deer for example and as long as there is water in it you can use it as a container to heat the water.

:shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking:

I drink six mugs every morning, but there ain't no way I need coffe bad enough to steep it in a deer's stomach!!

Hollow out the skull and drop warm rocks in, maybe, but I'll pass on the tummy perked java.

Sounds good to me. Being something of a coffee connoisuer--OK coffee snob--<sheesh> I roast my coffee over the fire in my skillet. Then while the boiler full of water is set by the fire to boil, I grind up the beans with my tomahawk. When the water is hot, I dump the grounds into the water, cover, and set the boiler near the perimeter of the fire to steep. After a few minutes--voil

Sounds good to me. Being something of a coffee connoisuer--OK coffee snob--<sheesh> I roast my coffee over the fire in my skillet. Then while the boiler full of water is set by the fire to boil, I grind up the beans with my tomahawk. When the water is hot, I dump the grounds into the water, cover, and set the boiler near the perimeter of the fire to steep. After a few minutes--voil

Sorry, Cruzatte, I couldn't resist that last one - folks don't always understand my twisted sense of humor... :peace: I was making more fun of my LACK of connoisseur-ness than of your gourmet skills.

That coffee of your does sound good though! :thumbsup: I have been known to grind my own beans at home. Never thought of the tomahawk grinder - you just smash it in the skillet with that?
Patsy

I think you'll find that a boiler be it made of tin or copper will be very handy. Even with a cup that fits inside, you can pack your coffee, tea, brown sugar, spices, etc. and roll it up in your bedroll.

I know I am gonna git in trouble for this..I just know it. Er...this "maxi-pad" name...for a coffee...egad...ya would think they could have come up with something different. I mean...I can picture camping with the old lady...ooops..I mean Darling Wife and it is her time of the month..and I ask her where these "pads" are...egad! No..I do not want to die! :crackup: :crackup:

I think you'll find that a boiler be it made of tin or copper will be very handy. Even with a cup that fits inside, you can pack your coffee, tea, brown sugar, spices, etc. and roll it up in your bedroll.

Ok that sounds good...where do I find a quality boiler or coffee maker that will stand up to being set in the coals?

I know I am gonna git in trouble for this..I just know it. Er...this "maxi-pad" name...for a coffee...egad...ya would think they could have come up with something different. I mean...I can picture camping with the old lady...ooops..I mean Darling Wife and it is her time of the month..and I ask her where these "pads" are...egad! No..I do not want to die! :crackup: :crackup:

Oh, sorry... :crackup: The "maxi-pad" name is my own name for 'em, they just reminded me of...well...you know...!!

See, Maxwell house and Folger's both make those "coffee singles" which are kinda handy for camping, like a teabag with coffee in it, just pour boiling water over it, let it steep, dunk it a dozen times, and voila! Coffee! (Sort of) And they also make these things, sort of like a fat teabag, filter and coffee all sealed up together, that make a whole pot. They're about 3" across, round, about 3/4" thick, just reminded me of maxi-pads, so that's what we call 'em now at the women's 'voos that I go to... ::

OK, so maybe that comes under the heading of "too much information" for this early in the day... :crackup:
Patsy

To be PC, I try to keep my Freeze Dried Decaf Maxwell House instant in and old jar. Simplify! :relax:

Coffee is the only thing I hate skimping on while camping. I have a 50 y/o perc pot that looks like it's 150 yrs old (unlewss you look too close and see the aluminin label on the bottom). I can fit a weeks worth of coffee in the pot under the basket, kept in plastic bags. I suppose if I were PC, I'd use some muslin sacks for it.

Nothing like a pot of fresh perc over a fire on a cold night or early morning. Some things are just worth making room for in the pack.

Nord, try this site http://www.cobbcreek.com/contact.htm
This is Larry Ring, he's a quality copper maker. This is who I purchased mine from several years ago.
Or you can try Backwoods Tin if your going the tin route. Or look at Smoke and Fire News and check out any suttlers you see listed or do a search on the web.
Either copper or tin will do you a good job, as mentioned earlier, you want to keep water in the pot anytime you've got it in or over the fire. Of course, copper is expensive. I remember an old guy that use to use an old coffee can that he had attached a wire bail to, he used this for years - it served as well as my copper one.
When I put mine in the fire, what I'm actually doing is pulling some coals to the side (maybe around a flat rock I've put in the pit) I do this to sit the boiler on because I don't want to burn it up. Hope this helps, Wart

nnnnnnnnnnn nonononono
Bring your water to a boil, throw in a handful of coffee grounds and allow to boil and then simmer for 10 minutes. Take of the heat and throw in some dried out egg shells. They will cause the ground to go to the bottom. If you want to fiqure strength, about 3 table spoons to 6 to cups of water make a fine brew. Forget this cotton wrap stuff. :thumbsup:

Take of the heat and throw in some dried out egg shells. They will cause the ground to go to the bottom. Forget this cotton wrap stuff.

Or better yet, forget the egg shell stuff too and just dribble in some cold water - Cold water will settle the grounds every bit as effectively as egg shells and you don't have to worry about totin' "cackleberries" with you.

...The Kansan...

Or better yet, forget the egg shell stuff too and just dribble in some cold water - Cold water will settle the grounds every bit as effectively as egg shells and you don't have to worry about totin' "cackleberries" with you.

...The Kansan...

:crackup:

Cackleberries....

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

I have a feeling some of our camps and Voos are getting more competetive in the coffee brewing procedure. Yes, there is nothing like several good cups of coffee in the morning.

I have noticed at the boom of dawn, (yes, we have a fellow who enjoys shooting off an "alarm cannon") folks are ready for any cup of coffee while theirs is brewing. Wandering, groggy eyes go from camp to camp to share coffee. When one pot runs out, seems someone else has some available. Great comradarie.

One friend believes in the "boil the hell out of the coffee" method. It has color but no flavor. Others bring some good quality coffee, watch the process, and produce a very good cup.

Having seen the "roast the beans" over the fire method, I ordered some "green beans" from a local coffee company and tried it myself. I found one of those mini, cylindrical hand grinders to grind the beans. Even though it is adjustable, it can produce too fine of a grind.

Regardless, a good cup of camp coffee in the morning is a good start. ::

TexiKan
-------------
If you continue to do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got.

My dad was a railroad condutor for 40 years when the trains still
had the little red cars at the end. He always said
the coffee was done when you could float a rail spike in it. So i would guess a muzzle ball would serve the same purpose.
I would not drink it but those were different times
and i still miss his stories about the railroad.
I have to guess he was an excellent railroader
because he did it for so long, but one thing i know for sure he was an outstanding 'Dad'
snake-eyes :peace:

Back