• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dye muzzleloader medal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I was at a trapping school today. They were showing different ways to dye traps. The one method was I believe called speed dye or something close to that. It came out a nice brown color. Has anyone tried that or one of the other methods to finish the metal on a muzzleloader. It seems pretty durable. The other methods are boiling with dye or walnut shells. Just curious.

Last edited:
Original flintlock Hall rifles were colored with a colored varnish type of thing. IT held up nicely. I have seen a mint example and it looked good. IT looked like a shiny brown finish. I do not know how it was done or how to reproduce it.

Slow rust browning is excellent and easy. IT is what I use 90% of the time.

If you are messing with walnut shells take care. There is not a solvent I know of that can remove it from your skin. I tried;
paint thinner / turpentine
tuolene
Xylene
alcohol
acetone
lacquer thinner
gasolene

The only thing I found that works is a belt sander.

Just curious.
I don't think so,
Traps and firearms have always been used in different manners.
Staining or smoking traps are methods to mask scents and shade to natural environments.
Whereas firearms are subject to daily handling and harsher chemicals such as residue and cleaning agents.
Think about it, touch off some powder and caps on treated trap metal a time or two, and it might need to be be re-treated,,

Latest posts

Back