• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Durn it! Got some rifling damage.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdwatcher

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just gave my bought used cheap Tryon rifle a quick once over. Visible now the oil from the cleaning has dried are two shallow 1/4" slivers missing from two of the lands beginning just shy of the muzzle. These slivers were thin enough to be less than the depth of the rifling.

Only thing I can figure is that this occurred under stress when I was forcing those oversized ball/patch combos down the barrel, probably the affected areas were already weakened by use and corrosion. (I didn't hammer on the ball with anything but the wooden ball starter handle).

Ain't gonna know how it shoots until I shoot it again, and if smokeless guns is any guide, I expect some rifles shoot surprisingly well with minor bore damage.

Looking ahead, if the bore on this gun IS shot, anyone know where a replacement barrel can be had for a Pedersoli Tryon rifle and about what cost?

Thanks,
Birdwatcher

Birdwatcher,.... I am of no help as far as find'n a replacement barrel fer yore Pedersoli Tyron, but,... I think "if" it don't shoot to yore expectations, you could "cone" the muzzle to git rid of the rifle'n damage.

I doubt the "damage" was done by load'n a tight patch-ball combo tho.

Bench'n yore rifle is the only way to know if ther really is a problem.

YMHS
rollingb

Thanks Rollingb... come to think of it, "coning" the barrel might eliminate the need for a ball starter AND be historically correct.

Even if it turns out to be a total loss, according to Birdwatcher economics if'n I bought it more than 2 years ago it was free :: Nice looking rifle though, and I finally did take it out and shoot it. Why the heck did I get away from BP for so long anyway?

Birdwatcher

Ther is a good thread on this forum 'bout "cone'n" muzzles (if you decide to go thet route), a search will give you all the info you will need.

If I had a cone'n tool thet fit yore Tyron I'd loan it to you, but, the only one I currently have on hand is .58 :(.

YMHS
rollingb

I don't think that will affect your accuracy.

Rat

Only thing I can figure is that this occurred under stress when I was forcing those oversized ball/patch combos down the barrel, probably the affected areas were already weakened by use and corrosion. (I didn't hammer on the ball with anything but the wooden ball starter handle).

I think it happened another way, let me explain about it...

I seen this before, on an old, cheap gun I keep around to lend to my brother-in-law, don't want to loan him the good ones... :winking:

Turns out, he got the ramrod stuck while cleaning it, he took a pair of needle-nose pliers and using the muzzle as a fulcrum, levered the rod out of the bore, scratching the lands just as you described with the points of the pliers...

A distinct mark was left on the ramrod too, he totally ruined the crown as well, if your ramrod is blemish free, the marks could have been made on a range rod, sparing the factory rod...

Needless to say, I was ticked and happy at the same time...

Ticked because he's an a**, happy because my expensive guns were saved...

Note: I was pressured into lending him something just to keep peace in the families...

I thought everyone kept a "loaner" aroud!

Just makes good sense!

This does sound like the perfect candidate for a coned muzzle.

he got the ramrod stuck while cleaning it, he took a pair of needle-nose pliers and using the muzzle as a fulcrum, levered the rod out of the bore, scratching the lands just as you described with the points of the pliers...

Awww heck, remember I mentioned that my ramrod got stuck?? :redface: Well turns out my trusty Leatherman has needle noses.

The first thing I did was grab the pliers and apply the grip part at the base to pull on the rod. This was crossways to the muzzle and I don't recall actually being dumb enough to apply the pliers directly in the muzzle. 'Course I was cursing at the time and I've done lots of other dumb things I don't recall later, usually when I was drunk, which I never do at the range.

But, the fact remains; needle nose pliers plus stuck ramrod plus damaged rifling plus me PO'd. Sigh.......

Call me "Exibit A". Well heck, at least the rifle was free even if the lesson weren't ::

Birdwatcher

Awww heck, remember I mentioned that my ramrod got stuck?? :redface: Well turns out my trusty Leatherman has needle noses.

I only mentioned this because my loaner has the exact same marks you described...

At least we can now label it... :D

I only mentioned this because my loaner has the exact same marks you described... At least we can now label it... :D

I prefer to think that God, clearly an expert on historical matters, would rather I get the barrel coned in the interests of authenticity. Or perhaps He wishes I would drink less coffee, or maybe both, I dunno.

I have a question. Have you shot it to see if you actually have a problem?

I would likely cone it anyway, but I would shoot it to learn from the experience. From what you describe, I see not safety concerns.

Just a thought.

YMHS,
CrackStock

I doubt it will affect accuracy. One of my hunting partners has an old 1886 Winchester in .45/70. Bore is shot to H E Double Toothpicks. I mean it's almost a smoothie! He insists on shooting healthy doses of 3031 and jacketed 300 grain H.P.s out of it. Kills plenty of deer out to 150 plus yards with the durn thing too! So minor damage in big bore guns, IMHO, is acceptable (but damage still "hurts", if you know what I mean) :cry:
In a worst case scenario, if the first half-inch of barrel is totalled, have a good 'smith face the barrel till the damage is gone, then re-crown--still cheaper than a new barrel. So you'll have a barrel half an inch shorter.
By the way, my loaners are breech-loaders. :crackup:

Except for my son, I don't loan a rifle to no one, no how, no way, for no reason.

:curse: :no: :curse:

Rat

Thanks for the input. The heck of it is, if'n I was related to Musketman, I wouldn't have a problem ::

I was able to get out to the range today for a quick 30 minutes before closing. Crappy rest, unfamiliar rifle, rushed. Only had time to fire five shots (rounds???) on paper at fifty, swabbed out between shots. .530 RB, 0.020 prelubed patch, 90 grains ffg Goex

First two into 2", four inches high, two inches left. Second two holes overlapping two inches high, one inch left. Last one two inches high, one inch right. The whole group into about 5".

Not a great group but promising given that I was likely the limiting factor here.

The main thing is that when I take the time to bench it at 100 at my regular range I can expect to makes holes in paper, not cows over in the next pasture ::

Birdwatcher

A good solid rest, and not be'n hurried,.... should be "reveal'n"!! :thumbsup:

..... then you can start "tweek'n" by vary'n powder-charges, lubes, swab'n, patch-material, and etc.!! (I think the cows are now safe!!::)

YMHS
rollingb

Back