• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dupont black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tndavisusa

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I got a package deal on a TC Hawkins this weekend and 5 cans of Dupont FF came with the rifle. All are unopened but with a little rust on the outside of cans. I know nothing about using BP as I have been using 777 in my other BP. I'm wondering if this powder is safe. :idunno:

If the cans of powder are unopened the powder should be like brand new. There may be some collector interest in the cans, could be worth looking into..................watch yer top knot............

tndavisusa said:
I got a package deal on a TC Hawkins this weekend and 5 cans of Dupont FF came with the rifle. All are unopened but with a little rust on the outside of cans. I know nothing about using BP as I have been using 777 in my other BP. I'm wondering if this powder is safe. :idunno:

MAY BE collector interest??? :shocked2: Those unopened cans of Dupont are worth more than the Hope diamond to some collectors. Do not open but try to find a buyer.
To answer the question, same as already posted. Good as new except more valuable.
I wouldn't use but would buy a different brand for shooting.
Unfortunately I don't know where to start to advertise you have it, except maybe in the classifieds of Muzzle Blasts.

I have about a dozen cans of 2f, 3f, and 4f DuPont dated 1972 and 1973 from a friend's estate. Understand that we're in a real wet climate, and one can of each granulation was a partial. All had light rusting on the tops of the can.

I found no difference in opened versus unopened, and virtually identical chrono results comparing it with modern Goex.

As for collector interest? Never heard of that and certainly can't see it for my stuff from the 1970's. Maybe it's like wine and certain dates are worth more cuzz it's better. Dunno. In any case, I'm shooting mine up, because the local cost of getting black powder of any sort puts it in the collector category, whether made last week or last century. :rotf:

BB,
The only Dupont powder cans I know of to have any collector value are the 20's era red oval cans with the pasted on labels and maybe the Indian brand 1/2 pound cans.
Mark :idunno:

Rifleman1776 said:
tndavisusa said:

MAY BE collector interest??? :shocked2: Those unopened cans of Dupont are worth more than the Hope diamond to some collectors. Do not open but try to find a buyer.
To answer the question, same as already posted. Good as new except more valuable.
I wouldn't use but would buy a different brand for shooting.
Unfortunately I don't know where to start to advertise you have it, except maybe in the classifieds of Muzzle Blasts.

I wouldn't advertise it for sale anywhere because that would be illegal unless you have a distributors license.
Even the empty cans probably do have some collector value. :idunno:

Good move.

I spect you'll be liking it enough to want more. Five cans might seem like a lot, but I'd locate a replacement source.... Before you get to the bottom half of the last can! :rotf:

Like anything , there may be a collector who would find it worth money to them , but I offered up some Dupont in trade for the same amount in Goex :idunno: --no takers . What with the economy being so bad , people find it hard to tie money up in odd collectiions. I shot mine and kept the cans in case I get to buy in bulk in the future. :thumbsup:

Dupont is now GOEX. Businesses change but the product is pretty much the same. As stated the cans might have value the powder not so much.

Papa said:
BB,
The only Dupont powder cans I know of to have any collector value are the 20's era red oval cans with the pasted on labels and maybe the Indian brand 1/2 pound cans.
Mark :idunno:

I'd say you're right. I've seen some of the black 25# kegs advertised for between $12 and $20 online that were not that old. I paid $125 for one last year but it was full of fffg. I repacked all of it into GOEX cans. Now the keg is just taking up space.

Back