• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dumb shotgun ????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok. point and laugh all you want but I am not as knowledgeable as I should be about shotguns.

I am buying the CVA 12ga SxS kit in the classifieds The best I can tell from searches it will have a "choked cylinder on the right hand and improved on the left hand".

Will either of these allow a PRB to be used as well?

I had the same chokes in my old Navy Arms. It was just fine in the cylinder bore, but I never tried it in the Improved Cylinder bore. Kinda nice actually here in bear country to carry a ball in the cylinder bore while busting bunnies with shot in the IC bore. I had no concerns about the ball load coming unseated through lots of shooting in the other bore because I just tapped it with the ramrod each time I reloaded the shot barrel.

Ok, so the "cylinder bore" is a uniform ID throughout. That's what I thought but wanted to verify. That was my thought too. Where I hunt there are jsut as many pigs as small game. So it would be real nice to have a PRB and a shot load ready.

Sounds like an ideal setup. You will probably want to do some "sighting" in with the RB though. Shotgun sights are pretty crude, and it's just going to take time and shooting to figure out how to wrangle the best from it. Best I could do with mine was probably "minute of deer lungs" at 30-35 yards. Beyond that, it was "minute of mountainside." Coulda done better with real sights I'm sure, but it was more shotgun and bear protector than deerslayer.

Back