• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dry ball removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With some help from a friend, we took a 5/16 drill bit and drilled and tapped the shank end of the drill bit . He then threaded a 1/4 inch rod to screw into the bit.
Call this the last resort but it works. We put a vise grip on the rod to turn it slowly and you can feel the bit go through the ball. We also used electrical tape at different intervals on the rod protect the rifling.
I haven’t had any success using the ball puller however I read that some do and use lubricant in the barrel, that may help. I would like to post a picture but haven’t figured that out. Can you help with that ?

Lots of threads on here about getting dry balls out--try doing a search.

Ball puller screws work but they can expand the ball actually making it harder to get out.

One of my first go to's is trickling some f4 powder behind the ball by removing a flashhole liner or cleanout screw in a percussion gun, then shooting it out.

If all else fails the simplest thing to do is remove the breechplug and tap it out with a rod.

With some help from a friend, we took a 5/16 drill bit and drilled and tapped the shank end of the drill bit . He then threaded a 1/4 inch rod to screw into the bit.
Call this the last resort but it works. We put a vise grip on the rod to turn it slowly and you can feel the bit go through the ball. We also used electrical tape at different intervals on the rod protect the rifling.
I haven’t had any success using the ball puller however I read that some do and use lubricant in the barrel, that may help. I would like to post a picture but haven’t figured that out. Can you help with that ?
I'm so dumb about dry balling that I probably have more experience than most about having to pull patched balls and I use tight patching. Never have had any issues pulling them with the tool I make using a dry wall screw silver soldered to a brass plug of bore diameter threaded into my all steel loading rod. The brass keeps the screw on center when threading into the patched ball.
I either hook the ball on the end of the loading rod onto a car bumper or get a fellow shooter to latch on to it while pulling the rifle away and out they come while every one smirks at another dry ball. "Like they have never done it before" ! 😄

I have dry balled more than I'd like to admit. I get talking at the woods walks and stuff happens.
About 10 grns of 4f shoved into the touch hole with a pick has never failed.
A steel range rod, and a top quality ball puller along with some cleaning solution to soak and lubricate has never failed either.
I had miserable failure with the traditions ball puller. It isn't pointy enough to really start itself and drive itself into the ball. Track of the wolf sells an excellent puller. It's very sharp and drives itself into the ball and grips well.

I guess I've used most of the dry ball removable methods suggested, and that tells you something about me at the range. The two methods I now use work great; 1. shoot it out with a pinch of powder. 2. range rod and ball puller. I load tight prb so sometimes it can be a struggle but I get 'em out.

When you want a photo posted, just click the Attach file button and then your photo files should show up on your phone or PC. Select the photo you want and then click the upload button on the lower right.

Now, (if I understand your post) tell me how a 5/16 inch hardened drill bit can be bored out to accept 1/4" threads. Maybe I miss understood, but the math does not work here.
Glad ya got the booger out!
Larry

Many years ago I became NRA certified to instruct black powder rifles. I would purposely dry ball to gain experience with methods of removal. I always carry a CO2 discharger in my pouch, as well as a ball screw and metal pulling handle so in case anybody needs to remove a dry ball I can assist.

I guess I've used most of the dry ball removable methods suggested, and that tells you something about me at the range. The two methods I now use work great; 1. shoot it out with a pinch of powder. 2. range rod and ball puller. I load tight prb so sometimes it can be a struggle but I get 'em out.
I need to invent a stealth method of dry ball retrieval so I don't have to endure the humiliation (when not if) it happens! I still hold the title of most dry balls in a single match, a dubious State Record at best! I'd like to blame it on old age but this happened 35 years ago while still a young man. Didn't drink, smoke or do drugs so I was in a pickle for excuse generation!
Count them................. five ,I kid you not in a timed fire Sihouette match where the pressure apparently turned by brains to Oat Meal for a bit.
I'd get off about five shots and things would be going like gang busters and then Murphy would show up with his Monkey wrench and pitch it into my gear box !
It sure slows you down that's for sure!
I can't seem to interest any one in attempting to take my record away from me !
😄😄😄

Last edited:
The only thing I've found with the screw removal, is the screw expands the ball, which makes it tighter in the bore and harder to pull it out.
Yeah, that's why the skinny, hard and sharp sheet rock screws work so well ! With the fatter screws simply turn it back out a quarter turn if you can and the grip on the bore wall will relax.

Latest posts

Back