• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drop in .54 for T/C hawken?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a .54 and a .62 Green Mountain flint drop in, but they are 1", as I have Renegades. I do not plan on selling them, glad I got them while the getting was good !

I have built a 36" .40 flint barrel for my Renegades using a Green Mountain blank, it was not too hard. I used it in competitions for a while.

The signature is NOT mine but a “borrowed” quote from another forum member.

”¦ does not create enduring fact.

And, yes, you do make the point I am after by using it. Thanks! :wink:

TANSTAAFL said:
I bought one of the .54 smootbores for $100.00 from GM when they were phasing them out. With tight patched ball out to about 50 yds, it will hold its own with a rifle.
They were truly outstanding 15/16" GM Fint barrels for the T/C Hawken...Green Mountain makes outstanding barrels in general...have a 13/16" x .40cal on a Lancaster, and a 7/8" x .50cal on a Dickert.
If my .54cal smoothbore Virginia didn't have a swamped Rice barrel on it, it would have a 15/16" x .54cal GM barrel for sure.

A shame that the mass produced traditional oriented ML market has gone modern so much that GM had to make the business decision of winding down their drop in barrel output.
Per T/C customer service just last week, the only remaining sidelock model T/C still keeps in limited production is the .50cal Hawken...being their bread & butter flagship model, it makes sense that it'll be the last to go.

I carry it very little, but sure like punching holes in paper from a rest and it is not nearly heavy as a Hawken made like an original.

I know this one with the Orion barrel and old style stock, which is a great looking piece of wood, will never be going up for sale by me. My granddaughter has already requested it goes to her when I go under.

P1010366.jpg

Nice looking rifle, IIRC Hopkins & Hobbs, used LaSalle stressproof for the steel in their barrels, was rated for 125,000 psi. See you have a globe sight on yours too.

My globe sight is a beaded post which is ajustble for elevation, rear is fixed.

Globe sight really helps these old eyes see the front sight more clearly.

Back