• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drill a curved hole

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The so called St. Louis horns have been attributed to a maker in St Louis. I have seen pictures of about 10 of them so far. They are one of my favorite horns to make. The one in this picture had a nice curve in the tip but I was able to drill a straight hole. The stopper is a piece of antler with a pine tip.

As far as buffalo go the more curve it has the older the animal,if they used buff,it would be a younger one..I have one about two years old but not as curved as an older buff.

Great advertisement to tell us you can drill a straight hole. :thumbsup: :rotf:

Hawkthrower said:
The so called St. Louis horns have been attributed to a maker in St Louis. I have seen pictures of about 10 of them so far. They are one of my favorite horns to make. The one in this picture had a nice curve in the tip but I was able to drill a straight hole. The stopper is a piece of antler with a pine tip.

My first buffalo horn had about that much of a bend and I too just drilled a straight hole. This horn I have now is the 90 degree bend type. Still thinking on the thing. I'm toying with the idea of bending a tube and then attaching some sort of cutting bit to cable- sneak it through the tube.
I think I must be a little crazy because I keep getting into stuff like this- figuring out how to get the job done is half the fun. :grin:

This still fits into the "why bother" category for me. They drilled a straight hole, so a straight hole is good enough for my horns...

If you look at the photo and bend the tip forward towards the base another three inches- so the bend is 90 degrees. That's the deal. I might be able to drill straight for several inches and then come into that hole from inside the horn.

Aw, come on Jack, I wasn't advertising. I was just trying to show the curve on that horn. :blah:

Ron

crockett said:
If you look at the photo and bend the tip forward towards the base another three inches- so the bend is 90 degrees. That's the deal. I might be able to drill straight for several inches and then come into that hole from inside the horn.
Cut the horn where it makes the bend and drill a straight hole. I can see where the bend could be a place where a clog might form if the hole is drilled to match the curve.

Back