• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Center Drilling a Hole in the End of a Rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do you need a perfectly centered and straight hole in the end of a solid rod?

I did. I wanted a 10-32 threaded hole for mounting a cleaning jag on a quarter-inch brass ramrod. I don't have a lathe, so here's how I did it with a simple cordless drill.

THIS EXAMPLE IS FOR A 1/4" ROD. The system will work for any diameter rod so long as you correctly match the inside and outside diameters of the components used.

42920346120_af92eb0a8e.jpg

42920345250_1f70128247.jpg

43820867125_030005d150.jpg

Process Notes:

1. Prior to drilling the rod, you must put the aluminum spacer in a vice and run the drill bit through it so as to size the inside diameter of the spacer to be the same as the drill bit. (Other size spacers, such as those for 8-36 or 6-40 screws, can be drilled through with the #21 bit and used if a 10-32 spacer is not available. Most hardware stores have an assortment of aluminum spacers.)

2. When drilling the rod, you MUST fully withdraw the drill bit after every 1/4" of drilling to clear chips. Do the same with the tap.

Unless you must have a rod no larger than 1/4", a 5/16" OD rod tip is an internal slip fit epoxy and pin or pin and solder. If it's a range rod, a 1/4" ID bore guide can be slid on first and will be captured and never lost.

Back