• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dragoon help!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am still trying to find out any info that I can. So far no one recognizes this pistol. Any help will be appreciated. It is heavily engraved. The address on the top flat says Uberti USA Lakeville Ct. It is a beautiful gun, I just don't know anything about it.

Attachments

• IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0173.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0752.jpg
    IMG_0752.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0753 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0753 - Copy.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 0
You're in the wrong forum this is for Introductions. On the main page go to the firearms forum and the handguns subforum.

Thank you guys for your interest. It is beautiful, but I am having the darndest time identifying it. The address on top, where it would normally say Sam Colt address, this one says Uberti USA Lakeville Ct. Made in Italy by A. Uberti. It is engraved One of 250. It looks like a possible Civil War Commemorative that may have been made for Colt, but for some reason it was never delivered. I would think that if there are 250 of them, someone would know something. On the bottom of the grip frame it has USA 022C. I will keep trying to find out about it. Thank you again for looking.

I don't know much about commemoratives, but I did a little searching online and in my books. The closest thing I can find is in a book by Dennis Adler, Colt Blackpowder Reproductions & Replicas, page 114, showing the American Historical Foundation Colt 3rd Model Dragoon introduced in March 1993. These were apparently produced in pairs, one blued "Union" model and one silver-gray antique "Confederate." Rock Island Arms auctioned off a set of them in 2011, but you can still view them on the RIA website: Two Boxed Colt Dragoons

I see some differences, though. The revolvers illustrated in Adler's book and the ones on the RIA website have a lot of gold overlay, which I don't see on yours. However, the engraving patterns seem identical. The RIA "Union" revolver is marked "ONE OF FIFTY." I'm guessing these were very limited editions promoted and sold as a pair, but maybe the group of 250 (including yours) were offered as singles with less expensive decoration. That is speculation on my part.

Italian guns generally have a date code marked on them someplace. Look for a little box with Roman numerals or two upper-case letters:

Italian Date Codes.jpg

If your revolver was made in 1993, as Mr. Adler indicated, you would find a box with BC in it. The PN that you see marked on the frame is not a date code, but is one of the Italian proofmarks. The PN stands for polvera negra, or "black powder."

I hope this helps. Tracking down the histories on commemorative guns can lead you into a very deep rabbit hole. As Alice said, "Well, I can’t put it any more clearly, sir, for it isn't clear to me."

Notchy Bob

Back