• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dowel for a loading rod.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The grain direction is quite important. Dowel grain has no particular direction. Get thee a length of HICKORY and split it to size.
Oak is strong but brittle. Hickory is tough.
Dowell is for pegs of some sort.
Learn about the properties if various woods From a wood site, not a muzzle-loading sitei

I was at a hardwood lumber store once and he had 3/8" x 4 foot oak dowels. He let me take them all out and check them for straightness and grain (once I explained why) and I found 4 really nice ones. I made ramrods and a range rod from them. That was over a decade ago and I'm still using the range rod. Guys other than me are still using the ramrods.

I’ve tried all kinds of wood for rods. My favorites are Black Locust and Yew.

Yew is the wood that was used to make English Long Bows. Black Locust is pretty tough wood. Neither of these woods takes a stain, but its not needed the natural color is very orange for the Yew and a green brown for the Locust.

Oak is ok, but Ok doesn’t work well below 3/8ths. 1/4-5/16 is just too Thin for Oak.

Back