• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dove shot size?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have never hunted dove with a muzzle loader so I was wonder what size lead shot you guys use for such a task? Using a pedersoli 10ga....sky chief? Load size? All opinions welcome. Just looking for an excuse to stretch its legs.

After decades of shooting doves with 8 shot in modern shotguns, I found that 6 shot works better for me in my ML guns - especially when targeting the Eurasian Collared Doves which seem to be displacing Mourning Doves in Eastern Washington. I use a scoop that throws a little over an ounce of shot and the same volume in FFF black. I'm shooting 12 ga, but I would think 10 might produce similar results. (The forecast is for 108 tomorrow - so it's hard to imagine that the dove season is only a couple weeks away!) Good luck!

For close in shooting 7-1/2 will do but for pass shooting I would use #6's. Before you go out into the field I suggest you do a LOT of skeet and trap shooting for practice;). My 2 cents worth.

Last time I hunted doves I was a kid 22 years ago. I went duck hunting last year with the pedersoli for the first time back hunting ducks in 20 years. I knocked a few down but they were quickly finished off by the guys with modern equipment. Fun still and I will pattern more before this year's season.

Hard to hit little grey rockets...
Practice loading like the Tasmanian Devil because that's what its going to be like if they come in thick!😂
taz.gif

I might try for some with the 12G trade gun this year, if I can ever get free to slip over to the smith to pick it up. I, too, will be using 7.5 shot.

A good dove hunt with a ML is a blast! 7.5 shot works fine.
However, modern hunters have an advantage with tighter chokes and they either kill or start banging away long before a ML with a cylinder bore.
Good luck as it can be a thrill to behold - you’re guaranteed to get everyone’s attention!

Last year I used my Pedersoli 10 ga. on 3 different shoots. I had a modern gun beside me also. I only wound up using it here and there when the 10 gauge was empty or I was in the middle of reloading. I got a limit at 3 different shoots doing it like that. What I did was have my gun case open beside me and powder and shot in premeasured vials all laid out in the case. I also used a pair of cappers and only used thin overshot cards over the powder and shot. All laid out in front of me I was able to reload pretty quick. I used #6 shot and some fairly heavy loads. 90 grains of 2F and 100 grains of shot. Heavy for dove but who cares....worked great.

Folks certainly were entertained by the 10 ga. Got invited to another shoot just because of it. A boy came up and said we're shooting next weekend, you gotta come and bring that double barrel, my Dads' gonna get a kick out of watchin you shoot that thing!

Using 7.5 would work well. If you can get some 7 shot it has around 10 or more percent inertia.

Back