• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dove shot size?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I already have some unopened #6....you think it's worth buying a bag of 7 or 7.5? Or just make do with what I already have
I wouldn't bother picking up new shot just for a trial run. If you get really into it, sure, optimize. But there isn't enough difference for me between 6 & 7.5 to notice.

That being said, I recall that when I hunted dove a lot with modern stuff, I went to an "extra full" (think turkey) choke to ensure it was either a solid hit or a clean miss. I only had a couple come in close enough to get badly mangled by too tight a pattern. So if you're using a black powder gun with a cylinder bore, keep the shots close enough to make solid hits and have enough shot in the pattern to get the density you need at your given range.

I’ve read that 6 shot does a better job on doves. Better penetration and fewer pellets to pick out of the meat.

I’m going to take my Pedersoli 12 SxS this year *after* I pattern it.

using what ever shot you have #6, 7.5 or 8s will work fine
then decide if you want to invest in a bag of another size shot
load- shot - enjoy!

I've cleaned hundreds of doves that had no discernable damage on them at all. One could believe that they died of fright. Mourning doves have to be the most fragile game animal in the Americas. I've sailed my fair share too. This to the point where I don't care to hunt over beans or cotton without a dog. You just loose too many.

I went one opening day with about 50 guys to a highway department lot where they stored huge piles of sand. We set up around the perimeter of the biggest pile (about 30' high). Every dove in six counties were coming in in twos and threes to swallow some sand for their gizzards. I'll bet three minutes didn't go by without someone shooting. It was constant action all morning. Sounded like a battle.

I use one size shot for all my work, be it dove, quail, squirrel or duck, #6. A good all around shot. I have used 71/2 and 8 before for dove and quail but migrated back to 6's. I've heard that 6's are good for geese too because you get more BB's and only need one in the right place, however I've only used 4's for geese. Some state laws may prohibit 6's for geese, but 6's for doves are a sure thing.

No. 8 shot for me, same as in modern guns. A muzzleloader load has plenty of power to drop a dove. I want more lead in the air, to avoid gaps in the pattern, versus penetrating power per pellet. Id use no.9 if I could find it, but none of the places I shop carries it, but they all stock bags of 8 shot. No. 6 IMO, is unnecessary just to kill doves.

Haven't used a muzzle loader for doves, but always had better luck with #9s in modern guns. Seemed to run out of pattern density long before killing power. I think that would hold true for muzzle loaders also. I also know guys who hunt turkeys with #9s successfully, head shots only of course.

I use 7.5's or 8's on doves, and for many years only 7.5, but now back to 8's a little this year, but that will probably go back to 7.5 by middle of season. I have a coffee can full of mixed 5's, 6's, 7.5's and 8's as well for those times I just can't decide. For ducks I used to use 4's until the lead ban. Squirrels I used 4's, but I don't hunt those anymore, they're too cute and there is not enough meat on them. I just like to get the most meat for the shot, and doves don't have it either, it takes a lot of doves to equal one duck, and a lot more lead and powder. They sure are good practice and sport though and melt in your mouth when deep fried like I do mine. If I could always connect on every shot I might reconsider the economics of it, but the true return is just being out in the field and that is priceless. Thought I would edit here and add that with cylinder bore, it's all going to be about pattern density.

Last edited:
Back