• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

double load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunting Dog

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I had a guy tell me a few years ago about double shotting. he said load your powder then patch and ball then I can't remember what he said I think it was corn meal? just curious what whorks best.

I am not sure what he was trying to tell you. Traditionally, you load two balls ( at your own risk) down the barrel, both being PRB. He may have been trying to keep the shape of the second ball from being distorted by the first ball banging into it when the gun fires, by using a "filler", like Corn meal between the two PRBs.

I am not a fan of shooting double balls. Some say this is just the " medicine " for bears, and other critters who can bite back. I prefer to use a large bore gun, and not tax the gun barrel with the increased pressures you get using two balls on top of a load of powder. If you do try shooting such loads for accuracy, you will find that the balls can be loaded to hit fairly close to each other MOST OF THE TIME out to 50 yards. After than, they begin to fly their own ways. The one in back tends to be the more accurate out of both rifles and smoothbores.

I have never tried putting a filler between two balls. Remember that whatever the weight of the filler is added to the total weight of both balls, and that is going to increase recoil, and chamber pressures. Be sure you are using a good, new nipple on a percussion rifle you choose to shoot these kinds of load.

Personally, most shooter don't shoot enough to be able to handle that added recoil, and therefore can't hit close to where they are aiming. Killing game, particularly dangerous game, requires Accurate ball and bullet placement.

Most shooters are trying to compensate for poor shooting skills by shooting heavy powder charges, or, like your friend, shooting multiple projectiles, hoping something will hit. We see this with the Zip Gun shooters and their sabotted pistol bullets at the range all the time.

They wound a lot of game that they don't recover. That just proves that in addition to having very poor shooting skills, they have NO woodsmanship skills, either.

When I was younger, we called these guys, "slob hunters". I think that name is no longer appropriate for these guys as it insults slob hunters!

Last Thursday, my brother was at the club range testing one of his guns, and shooting open sights at targets at 50 and 100 yds. PHil was taking the x-ring out of his 100 yd target. Some guys with new zip guns, all with large scop sights mounted were blasting away near them, and they finally got curious about the traditional guns and underhammers Pete and Phil were shooting, and came down to look and talk. They had not gotten a round on the paper much less put one in the bullseye. But, they were " zeroing " their zip guns so they could drive to Illinois in time to hunt deer this past weekend. They were astounded at the small groups that both men were producing using open sights. When they left the range, they still had not hit their targets. They didn't know how to sight in the guns, or shoot from a bench rest, or how to find a load that shot well. One guy was using 150 grains of some substitute powder in his gun, and was flinching badly every time he pulled the trigger! You think? :youcrazy:

Hunting Dog said:
I had a guy tell me a few years ago about double shotting. he said load your powder then patch and ball then I can't remember what he said I think it was corn meal? just curious what whorks best.

I agree with Paul on this one. I suspect this is yet another case of the blind leading the blind.

paulvallandigham said:
I am not sure what he was trying to tell you. Traditionally, you load two balls ( at your own risk) down the barrel, both being PRB. He may have been trying to keep the shape of the second ball from being distorted by the first ball banging into it when the gun fires, by using a "filler", like Corn meal between the two PRBs.

I am not a fan of shooting double balls. Some say this is just the " medicine " for bears, and other critters who can bite back. I prefer to use a large bore gun, and not tax the gun barrel with the increased pressures you get using two balls on top of a load of powder. If you do try shooting such loads for accuracy, you will find that the balls can be loaded to hit fairly close to each other MOST OF THE TIME out to 50 yards. After than, they begin to fly their own ways. The one in back tends to be the more accurate out of both rifles and smoothbores.

I have never tried putting a filler between two balls. Remember that whatever the weight of the filler is added to the total weight of both balls, and that is going to increase recoil, and chamber pressures. Be sure you are using a good, new nipple on a percussion rifle you choose to shoot these kinds of load.

Personally, most shooter don't shoot enough to be able to handle that added recoil, and therefore can't hit close to where they are aiming. Killing game, particularly dangerous game, requires Accurate ball and bullet placement.

Most shooters are trying to compensate for poor shooting skills by shooting heavy powder charges, or, like your friend, shooting multiple projectiles, hoping something will hit. We see this with the Zip Gun shooters and their sabotted pistol bullets at the range all the time.

They wound a lot of game that they don't recover. That just proves that in addition to having very poor shooting skills, they have NO woodsmanship skills, either.

When I was younger, we called these guys, "slob hunters". I think that name is no longer appropriate for these guys as it insults slob hunters!

Last Thursday, my brother was at the club range testing one of his guns, and shooting open sights at targets at 50 and 100 yds. PHil was taking the x-ring out of his 100 yd target. Some guys with new zip guns, all with large scop sights mounted were blasting away near them, and they finally got curious about the traditional guns and underhammers Pete and Phil were shooting, and came down to look and talk. They had not gotten a round on the paper much less put one in the bullseye. But, they were " zeroing " their zip guns so they could drive to Illinois in time to hunt deer this past weekend. They were astounded at the small groups that both men were producing using open sights. When they left the range, they still had not hit their targets. They didn't know how to sight in the guns, or shoot from a bench rest, or how to find a load that shot well. One guy was using 150 grains of some substitute powder in his gun, and was flinching badly every time he pulled the trigger! You think?
:youcrazy:

MY how we digress :shake: :eek:ff :shake: :eek:ff :shake:

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Welcome to th Forum! :thumbsup:

Now to answer your question. Two balls aren't as accurate as one heavy conical! I use a .50 cal 370 grain T/C Maxi-Ball with a 28" barreled Lyman Trade Rifle (1 twist in 48") being pushed out by 70 grains of FFFg Goex real black powder. This load was Chrono'd at 1347 feet per second, yielding a power factor of 499+, which is roughly the same as a 20 gauge rifled slug weighing 3/4 ounce. This load wins competitions, and it's not completely uncomfortable to shoot all day long.

If you're using a slow-twist rate barrel, forget about the Maxi's :shake: and just concentrate on shot placement as the other posters stated :wink:

Good luck,

Dave

Black Dog Hunting said:

Sounds like something that may have been done to "proof" the barrel...

If you do use double shot, do not double the powder otherwise your gun could explode. Not knowing what type of gun you are shooting I will say this, not all muzzleloaders are equally as strong. Some can handle heavy loads whereas others cannot.

There is also the danger that the second ball isn't rammed all the way down on top of the first ball, this would create an air gap and the second ball would act like a bore obstruction. The end result could be the gun blows up and takes your life along with it.

Double Balling can be handy in a stake shoot. Usually you are trying to remove as much wood as possible in as short a time as possible. I'll reduce the powder charge, and drop in one patched ball and then one loose ball over it. The two balls will print one above the other about 2 inches apart at 25 yards. I have done this quite often with my smoothbores.

I did try this the other day with my rifle. I was shooting a match at a "poker" target. This is a luck target and since I couldn't see a definite target I figured where the balls landed wouldn't make much difference in my score. I was running behind because of having had to change flints so I shot two double ball shots with my rifle. One was an unpatched ball under a patched ball and the other shot was with two unpatched balls. They both printed about the same way.

It is not great shakes as accuracy goes but they will both stay on a paper plate at 25 yards. It bucks a bit more with a full charge. If you were loading for bear it might be comforting.

Many Klatch

Latest posts

Back