• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Double Gun & Single Shot Journal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ T Frizzen

70 Cal.
Reaction score
The summer issue has an article on three English sporting rifles: a rook rifle, a .58 caliber rifle, and a 16 bore rifle. Beautiful design and workmanship with beautiful engraving. Has anyone seen this article and if so, do you see a little Hawken flavor about them?

I should have mentioned that these little rifles are percussion types, not breech loaders. Definitely worth a look.

I get that magazine. The rifles look slimer & lighter than a Hawken would IMO.Great workmanship though.

Not sure how slim that 16 bore is, but I was referring more to style or lines. These are later guns and very refined and they weigh less than most Hawkens--under eight pounds. Yet the .67 caliber rifle uses 120 grains of GOEX FFg under a one ounce ball and recoil isn't mentioned as a problem. Must be the stock design. I've got a well seasoned piece of very dense walnut around here somewhere that would do nicely for one of these rifles. Maybe next winter...

Are you asking about the Double Gun Journal, the Single Shot Exchange, or something I can't find and have never heard of?

It's the Double Gun and Single Shot Journal, Volume 18, Summer 2007. It is a quarterly publication on high quality stock and deals with double guns and fine single shot rifles and, very often, muzzleloading shotguns and rifles. I'm sure you've run across it, Paul. The breechloaders are the sort that muzzleloading enthusiasts would approve of. Many have external hammers for example.

It's the Double Gun Journal, they just changed their name a couple of years ago to include single shots. I subscribe & greatly enjoy it, particularly the articles by Ross Seyfried.

Look at Pecatonica's or Track's English Sporting Rifle. Essentially the same style. I have one of Pecatonica's on order so I thought the article was very timely

The magazine is full of great articles and photographs. I also especially enjoy Ross' stories. I should have mentioned the name change myself. The publication is of such high quality that calling it a magazine seems inadequate.

Back