• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dont judge me...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What would be the purpose of such a gun?
Purpose?

Now I'm confused, is one supposed to have a purpose in order add a gun to their collection? Without purposeless guns my safe would be about half empty. If one thinks hard enough rationalizing acquisition of another gun isn't too tough.

I don't known where you live, but I'd make sure it's not illegal there. That set up in my state is illegal if it's even a smidge under 16". If it's 15 and 99/100 of an inch, I keep a pistol grip on it and it has to be registered on my handgun permit.
Ahhh Rawhide that's where I thought ahead. I cut the barrel down to 16 3/8" so I'm good in either configuration.
One thing that's different to where you live is that my CC license (its not a permit) in PA is for "any registered firearm".
State game law for hunting big game from the 2022-2023 Game Digest
"Muzzleloading long guns of any type, 44 caliber or larger, or a
muzzleloading handgun 50 caliber or larger"

Last edited:
Let's all not get worked up over it. If someone wants to make a gun and it is legal. Who cares..? It belongs to them not YOU..! You don't like it so..? Does it matter..? No and what they call it who cares..?
It's just a term that we now use. Whether it was called that back in the day. Who cares... I don't. but I don't get all worked up over trivial stuff. If someone wants me to make them a certain style of gun and it's legal to own I will.
Canoe guns or blanket guns or short guns are extremely popular...but do what you want...It's supposed to be fun.....or did we forget that....?

A pistol makes more sense. With less wood it will be lighter. Rice sells pistol barrels 13 inches and shorter
Had a short barrel Traditions with a pistol grip and octagon to round barrel that almost became a pistol. Sold on the internet.

And…. here comes another discussion about “canoe guns” and “blanket guns.” Did they even exist? Are the terms historically accurate? When were they first documented? Where your proof?

Personally, that chit don’t matter to me. I’ve seen this argued ad nauseum. With both sides abrasively and angrily convinced there right. I vote we skip that debate in this thread, and just enjoy cool pics of guns that exist now, call them whatever you want. 😁
Chief Pontiac and his men used cut down "blanket guns" in their attempt to capture Fort Detroit.

Let's all not get worked up over it. If someone wants to make a gun and it is legal. Who cares..? It belongs to them not YOU..! You don't like it so..? Does it matter..? No and what they call it who cares..?
It's just a term that we now use. Whether it was called that back in the day. Who cares... I don't. but I don't get all worked up over trivial stuff. If someone wants me to make them a certain style of gun and it's legal to own I will.
Canoe guns or blanket guns or short guns are extremely popular...but do what you want...It's supposed to be fun.....or did we forget that....?
Here's the canoe or blanket gun I made.

Attachments

• 860.jpg
    860.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 0
Chief Pontiac and his men used cut down "blanket guns" in their attempt to capture Fort Detroit.
I don't doubt that there is established history, but I've seen people argue that there isn't. I don't particularly care, either way. Nor do I care what they were actually called. I like the looks and functionality of them. I like the pics here and didn't want this thread to devolve into another HC/PC debate.

As for another question above, I weighed in on the legality thing because I would rather someone consider the fallout, maybe jail time, for their actions, if they are doing something illegal. But, as indicated, it's an individual choice.

This is me shooting my "Yellow Bird Gun" What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

I built it as a sort of "proof of concept gun" for one of my characters to use in a bookverse of short stories and novels. It was made from T/C Grey Hawk and New Englander parts and has barrels that range from 9" to 12" in .50, .54 and 12 Gauge. No ramrod, you just use a longer-than-normal short starter. There is a bit more about it in this thread. Mostly I keep the loads light... thirty grains or so of 3f granulation. I could probably shoot 70 grains or more, but I don't need that much to shoot milk jugs and such. Recoil with that much powder would be pretty fierce... not to mention muzzle flash.

You can also find other posts by looking for "Yellow Bird Gun".

I don't doubt that there is established history, but I've seen people argue that there isn't. I don't particularly care, either way. Nor do I care what they were actually called. I like the looks and functionality of them. I like the pics here and didn't want this thread to devolve into another HC/PC debate.

As for another question above, I weighed in on the legality thing because I would rather someone consider the fallout, maybe jail time, for their actions, if they are doing something illegal. But, as indicated, it's an individual choice.
Muzzleloader. Under GCA'34, isn't even a firearm. Have a look at the "Howda Pistol" currently being marketed. Now, will some cops arrest you and try to get you prosecuted for owning one? Yeah, maybe, depending upon the cop, the department and the current political climate. In most US locales though, these guns are not illegal.

Atf don't care about barrel length or stock configuration on muzzleloaders....
Yeah but some states do, what you are making is illegal in washingrad.
All BP firearms are the same as cartridge firing one.
You even have to have an FFL to buy one here.
The nanny state imposing its will on we the people and the meows that keep voting the left in.

Yeah but some states do, what you are making is illegal in washingrad.
All BP firearms are the same as cartridge firing one.
You even have to have an FFL to buy one here.
The nanny state imposing its will on we the people and the meows that keep voting the left in.
Maybe that's why more and more people are moving to Florida...we can buy, build and sell front stuffers any way we please...or is it this weather 🏖

Maybe that's why more and more people are moving to Florida...we can buy, build and sell front stuffers any way we please...or is it this weather 🏖
Slingin it sure ain't the weather. I despise anything above 80*. Especially since my heat exhaustion episode I had a couple years ago. I'm down here in FL every winter snow birding with my wife. She's not thawed out until it gets to 80*! And every time I come down here I have a ton of work to do - trimming hedges, cleaning the pool, usually replacing screens on the pool enclosure ripped by wind or falling branches or getting holes eaten in them by the darn squirrels all over the place. Next year I'm bringing down my pellet gun and I'll be having squirrel stew!
One got into the screened enclosure when one of the screens were out and it tried to escape but my lab was too fast and snatched it off the screening.
The only thing I don't like besides the heat is not being able to buy a firearm here. Not too long ago you could buy a long gun as long as you were a US citizen. Now you have to live in the state.

Slingin it sure ain't the weather. I despise anything above 80*. Especially since my heat exhaustion episode I had a couple years ago. I'm down here in FL every winter snow birding with my wife. She's not thawed out until it gets to 80*! And every time I come down here I have a ton of work to do - trimming hedges, cleaning the pool, usually replacing screens on the pool enclosure ripped by wind or falling branches or getting holes eaten in them by the darn squirrels all over the place. Next year I'm bringing down my pellet gun and I'll be having squirrel stew!
One got into the screened enclosure when one of the screens were out and it tried to escape but my lab was too fast and snatched it off the screening.
The only thing I don't like besides the heat is not being able to buy a firearm here. Not too long ago you could buy a long gun as long as you were a US citizen. Now you have to live in the state.
Where do you do your snowbirding?

Back