• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dont judge me...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slinginslugs

North Florida
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering taking one of these old beaters I've got laying around and cutting the barrel down to 10-12" and cutting the stock down as well. Something kinda shaped like a mares leg lever action. No particular reason why, just to have something else to burn powder and sling lead. Anybody else done such blasphemy? Pros or cons? Advice? Don't have no fancy tools, figured hack saw and a file? What about the crown? Not looking for long range accuracy. Not even gonna have sights I reckon. Thinking of using an old cva plainsman. Anyway....

It sounds familiar.
Someone on another forum was looking for a beater muzzleloader to cut down. If I remember he called it a "blanket rifle". Something that could be held concealed under a blanket wrapped around you.

I have no specifics on the blanket rifle though as far as length. It did not peak my interest enough to research it.
And since he never made his project, deeming the donated gun to nice to cut down, we'll never know...

OP.

If it's an octagonal barrel you can use the flats to square up your crown.

Place a carpenter's square against a flat and look at the portion of the square that crosses the crown.

File down the high points until it's 90 degrees. Do this on all eight sides. Hit it gently with a chamfering tool/countersink to remove the sharp edge at the bore/muzzle.

Eventually you'll have a good crown. Then polish the crown with your thumb and sandpaper.

As for length I was just figuring on going about 1-2" beyond the end of the stock. Just enough to have a equal amount of ramrod out.
Cut your stock first.

Then put painter's tape at various distances down the barrel.

Use your eye to judge what you like. Too short a barrel will look stupid. Too long a barrel will look stupid.

Cutting the stock first will allow you to visualize the finished product better.

It is an interesting exercise. But redundant for me. Already have weapons to fill any void in that ballistic sphere.

We do not need to reinvent the belly gun.

That said........I used to carry frangible rounds in unmentionables. I would be interested in frangibles for ML pistols and my unmentionables.

Done some measurements...12" of barrel puts it 1.5" out from end of stock. 8" of barrel gives me about 2" out from the barrel wedge but would have to cut the front of the stock down a bit and would also allow me to use the rear sight dovetail for a front sight dovetail and could then turn it into a straight grip pistol...

I agree with every thing 64Springer said. I cut a CVA Kentucky rifle down to 28 inches. I did every thing Springer suggested but I had some 3/4 inch brass balls that had a 1/4-20 threaded hole in them. (I don’t remember from where but it was off the web) I put a bolt in one and cut off the head. I chucked it in a hand drill and used it to smooth the crown surface. I rotated the drill at all different angles. It took sometime, maybe an hour, but it worked. I got the idea off Youtube. I’ve also used a glass ball that belonged on top of a lamp shade. I got that at Lowe’s. Here are pictures of an original blanket gun I’ve been thinking about copying. It may be similar to what you are going to do. Good luck and share pictures.

Attachments

• 7303268F-ECA4-4627-AF8E-34DFAC56700A.jpeg
    7303268F-ECA4-4627-AF8E-34DFAC56700A.jpeg
    512.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 0F175695-E55A-4087-9836-1208E8E8504F.jpeg
    0F175695-E55A-4087-9836-1208E8E8504F.jpeg
    422.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Before you go all blanket gun on it, take a look at the YouTube channel "cap n ball" he had a video on a German gun, I think called a shteutz rifle or something like that. 14" rifled barrel with a buttstock, used for hunting from horseback, built that way. Nifty looking little thing.

I've been interested in doing one since I saw the video, but would need the right donor to cut up. It pains me to cut a functional gun up.

Before you go all blanket gun on it, take a look at the YouTube channel "cap n ball" he had a video on a German gun, I think called a shteutz rifle or something like that. 14" rifled barrel with a buttstock, used for hunting from horseback, built that way. Nifty looking little thing.

I've been interested in doing one since I saw the video, but would need the right donor to cut up. It pains me to cut a functional gun up.
The gun I plan to use is just an old gun I got in a trade that is kinda rough inside and out barrel wise but not to bad. Stock is fairly decent, especially if refinished. I've nearly a dozen other .50's of similar length and twist so I was looking to just have something different. Figured I took it on about $50 worth in trade so why not!

Back