• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you completely strip your pistol for every cleaning?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill-e

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I did a search but could not find this specific question answered. I've shot two days in a row, not a lot. 12 the first day and 18 the second day. After each shooting session I completely tore down my 1858 Pietta Remey and washed it in soapy water, rinsed super hot, dried, oiled and reassembled.

Is this the routine I should follow for every time I fire?

Thanks.

I completely disassemble mine every 2nd or 3rd shoot. You risk damaging those small screws every time you take it apart. I use a hair dryer to make sure mine is really dry when I don't fully take it apart, and then use an aerosol gun oil to get it into the workins and displace any remaing water. If you have all the proper screwdrivers and plenty of time to kill do it every time-(not my case!)

I also completely take down the gun. I ground down some screwdrivers to get exact fits- this saves the screws.

I already buggered two screws. I'm hoping the local gun shop will have replacements. I now have ground down drivers but the initial removal had two very stubborn screws.

I am away almost every mon-fri so weekends aren't always my own. I can see a month going by without shooting and hence why I completely tore down the gun, not knowing when I'd get back to it. With shooting say 24 rounds, will the innards be fine for a month if I only clean the frame and barrel?

Thanks.

I total strip my C&B revolvers about once every 6 - 12 months, the rest of the time I just remove the grips & disassemble the cylinder & place it all in a 5 gallon bucket of HOT Soapy water to clean, use the oven @ 125*F for 10 minutes to dry it then spray it down with WD40 to sortof disperse any moisture left & sortof lube it, then use Ballistol to really lube it just before I reinstall the grips & assembled cylinder.

After 26 years of doing this, outside of normal wear & tear items like the hand spring, I've never had one that ever showed any issues or being dirty inside.

Howdy!

Lots of opinions on this. Some even remove the grips and put it in the dishwasher. Personally, I tear them down. Yep, I've ordered replacement screws as well.

I may need to try more of the "Raider2000" method.

James

I don't strip mine down that often. Every few months or so. I pay special attention to places where fouling collects the most. Once they're clean, I dunk the gun in soapy water (with the grips removed of course) and swish it around a bit. Sometimes I use the ultrasonic cleaner if I'm in the shop, but I don't see any particular benefit to using it. Rinse well and dry with a hair dryer.

Then the parts go into a bucket of oil for a minute. I use CLP now, because I get it free and don't mind wasting it. I used to use automatic transmission fluid because it was cheap and it worked just fine also. Blow out the excess oil with compressed air, wipe down and reinstall the grips. Takes less time to do than it does to explain, and I have zero rusting, even in summer when the house is cooled with evaporative cooling which keeps the humidity near maximum.

I didn't, at least not until I removed the grips for the first time and saw all the fouling down in there.

Now I do!

Those buggers can get DIRTY fast.

HD

I strip my pistols down completely. Thats why the revolvers are not shot that much. I remember someone telling me to fill the insides with a light grease to catch the powder residue but never got around to trying it. I suggest using hollow ground screw drivers to avoid stripping screw heads. If your local gunsmith carries the screws, get several extra. If you cant find the screws locally try Dixie Gun Works.

depends on # of rounds fired. If I'm camped out I use w/w fluid in a spray bottle to wash with, just pulling the cyl and grips and flushing good.
I do a complete take down maybe 2-3 times yearly.

I go about 500 to 600 rounds before I do a total disassembly, which is a season of Cowboy action shooting. They are very dirty inside at that point, but they still work fine and there is no evidence of rust.

I do a basic cleaning of the frame with the grips off.

Hot soapy water from the tea kettle, towel dry, hit with the hair dryer, and squirt in some gun oil.

I then hang the frame upside down from a peg while I finish cleaning the barrel & cylinder.

Wipe the excess oil off and reassemble.

I only tear down my revolvers once a year and have never had any problems with this system.

Spare screws and parts can be picked up from V T I Gunparts. They are fast. I've had a hand spring fail on a Sunday, ordered a new part online that night, got it mid week, and had the time to fit it and be back at the range that Saturday. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

DT

Interesting. I logged in today with the specific intention of asking about this very idea. I had been reading about cleaning BP pistols on other forums. I noticed that most people seem to go to much greater lengths than I do.
I think of this forum as the "definitive" source and so came here to ask.
I see that I am, not alone, but in the minority. I do not disassemble the gun beyond taking the cylinder out. At long intervals, I look under the grips for corrosion (there has never been any).
I just scrub the thing like I am washing dishes dry it off mostly with a paper towel, pour some boiling water on it, spray it down with WD-40 to displace any lingering moisture, remove the excess, oil the barrel and replace the cylinder. Gun still looks like new.
Pete

I remove cylinder, clean it with 50% Simple Green,50% hot water. Same for the barrel. Usually do this after the day's shooting, or returning from a hunt. The action gets sprayed with brake cleaner until the liquid comes out looking clean. Spray down the hand slot and the base of the hammer when the hammer is cocked. Dry. Spray Remington Drilube down action points where brake cleaner was sprayed previously. When assembling, the rod that runs through the cylinder gets lithium grease. This works with the Rugers, and the collection of Colt clones, and Remmies. The Drilube doesn't pick up crud from the burning powder, the lithium grease keeps the cylinder turning the way it should. The Rugers will get 100 rounds through them on weekends, maybe 400 during the week (45 colt with 35 grs powder),the Colt clones might get 25 rounds each per week. The Remmie can't get fouled so bad it won't shoot, but can't give you a round count. This works for me.

Thanks for all the replies....they are varied.

WD40, is it common to use WD40 as a drying lube and then re-oil with your favorite gun lube?

How about oiling the action, which lube is best.

oletymepreacher and a couple of others have mentioned brake cleaner....is that the best cleaner for spraying into the action or are there other favorites.

Thanks again all.
Bill

Yes, I strip mine down after firing to the last screw and pin, including the flintlocks. I don't shoot them much, and preservation is critical. I also inspect them several times during the year, all have maintained a shiny, new appearance inside and out. The only evidence of use is scrape marks on the frizzen, or slightly deformed nipples (percussion).

I'm aware that excessive disassembly also creates wear. I also use parallel-ground screwdrivers to protect screw slots, and either brass punches or brass-tipped punches for pushing pins out. A spring compressor is worth it's weight in gold for holding leaf springs down while pulling locks apart.

For cleaning, I use hot water & soap for the initial treatment, followed by Hoppes 9 plus. When thoroughly dried (usually with heat gun assist), they get oiled with CLP. Everyone has their own preferences and technique, this one works for me.

I need to get a screwdriver set. Walmart has one they claim is for guns...anyone know if it's any good?

bill-e said:
I need to get a screwdriver set. Walmart has one they claim is for guns...anyone know if it's any good?

Do they have a hollow ground tip like this?

DSC04854.jpg

If so, you're good to go.

BTW, Forster screwdrivers are pretty good.

Back