• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you disassemble fully to clean every shooting session?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only time I’ve ever completely disassembled my 1851 was to do some gunsmithing work. It’s not necessary in the part of the Cosmos where I live to do so in order to clean the gun. Those members reporting from the surface of Venus of course have their own regimen, and for good reason.

pyrodex will rust out any gun faster then any other powder. it is horrible stuff.
AGREE, PYRODEX, it the worst if you want corrosion in your barrel. why do people still give this ACID STUFF,ACCOLADES??

well brother what is taking you so long? You aint getting any younger. Like the ole saying " marines never die, they just fade away ".
DL
Semper Fi
Getting no younger? I know it devil dog, don’t I know it!! Anyway, I enjoy the work! Plus every time I mention retirement the boss comes back with more money. I’m only working 40 hours a week these days, and it’s seasonal so in wintertime I typically don’t put in more than 20 hours a week but the paychecks roll in regardless. Sounds like I’m whining doesn’t it? :cool:

Pyrodex uses potassium perchlorate as the energizer, that is why it is so corrosive. Kinda like old corrosive priming, but on steroids.
(that corrosive priming used potassium chlorate. It is the chlorate/perchlorate that is so corrosive. Salt, if you will)
With respect to dishwasher & stainless, some of that really great new dishwasher soap will rust stainless if left on too long. Rinse well.

When I shot BP revolvers I never knew to disassemble all the way, thought removing barrel (Colt) and cylinder enuff. Guess I was wrong.

Responses all over the map! I'm new to BP guns and just a little bit afraid of junking up my new, pretty brass Pieta navy. Hopefully you guys will get me over the hump.

My recommendation is to shoot either real black gunpowder or if it is not available use American Pioneer Powder also sold as Jim Shocky's gold or Black MZ.That "P" stuff is rust in a bottle that happens to burn.
APP in different labels is a different chemistry and is no more corrosive than black gun powder.
I find it esier to clean that GOEX or DuPont.
I use APP from time to time and volume for volume of black powder it works like a charm.
It also makes volumes of smoke that just smells different

I don't know what happens chemically when BP is burned that makes it corrosive and not before ignition.
Fouling is what causes rust as clean black powder guns can stay loaded for years without any corrosion and yet the same elements are present before the burn. Potassium nitrate, charcoal and sulfur make up BP.
I always completely disassemble , clean and oil my BP revolvers unless in a two or three day match then just clean barrel, cylinder and frame for the next day and do a thorough take down when I get home.
Several areas on revolvers require grease for best longevity too, not just gun oil.

Black powder is a fairly inert mixture but the salts formed in the combustion process are hydroscopic and the result is certain acids that attack steel. However they are quite water soluble and simple room temperature water will dissolve and remove them.
Solvents, unless especially for black powder, will not dissolve the salts. Water, "moose milk" or commercial black powder cleaners are needed.

I remove the grips and pour boiling water over the gun until the water runs clear and the gun steel gets hot enough to evaporate any residual moisture. The gun then gets a quick wipe down with ballistol and that’s it.

-Jake

Every time. Both my revolvers are ’stainless’ even so they get dis-assembled and put in the dishwasher after every outing. If I don’t do that, even with the best clean, this happens inside the frame.

View attachment 43557
that’s pitting from the gun’s time with a previous owner and some powder residue from me firing 36 round balls.

They give me enormous pleasure and deserve my best attention.
my Dad used to say, if you can’t treat a girl properly, don’t take her out.
That post days it all.

Detail strip and clean. Every time.

That post days it all.

Detail strip and clean. Every time.
Hello A P Arn,
That is a bit of overkill in my experience with Colt open top guns. After shooting I clean with moose milk the barrel bore and breech, the cylinders and frame especially the hammer channel. About every 100 or so rounds, or if the gun is to be put up for a while then it is taken completely apart. carefully cleaned, oiled and reassembled.
UNLESS you are shooting the "P" stuff or perhaps 777 then clean to operating room cleanliness immediately and that may not be enough.
I have said I would rather shoot stainless steel balls and clean with battery acid than let my firearms get near the RUST in a Bottle that burns.
Hold center
Bunk

PYRODEX, is BAD JUJU!!

It may be bad JUJU but, for the moment, it is 'off ticket' here in the UK. That means (if I can get it) I don't need special storage arrangements and- more importantly- beause peole who don't have an explosives licence - can't borrow my revolvers and shoot them. But they can use Pyrodex. Every cloud?

i use blackhorn 209 in my 3 side locks with a mag spark nipple primer so the shot gun gun primer sets it off real well. no rust very little residue very accurate. most likely it wont work in in cap a ball revolver. i do use it in my open top uberti colts 38 special and 45 long colt as well as my 45/70. works wonderful their. it is very expensive but worth the cost. for what i use it for. if i was shooting cap and ball it would be real black powder. real black powder is very accurate from load to load and reliable as powder gets. cleaning isnt a problem just a routine with real black.

Back