• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do I Need a New Book?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almrl

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am new to the forum so I have been going through the old posts for info, reviews, opinions, etc that I've missed.

I've noted significant differences in loading data between what has been posted and my 1975 edition of the "Lyman Black Powder Handbook."

Has more modern research/testing been done so that I need a new book?

Old Coot

Old Coot, I still refer to my old Lyman 1975 book too but that must be done with certain realizations. For one thing, the powders mentioned and used for the 1975 book aren't made anymore. Curtis & Harvey (C&H) powder is long gone and the GOEX they used then was the Pennsylvania powder while the GOEX of today is the Louisiana powder. The two GOEX's are not exactly the same. Lyman did bring out another book on black powder but I don't remember when it was published. At best that newer Lyman book, by now, is incomplete because I don't think the Swiss powder is included or the other imported powders either. You can, of course, continue to use your old Lyman book for the GOEX loads and consider that as a rather general guideline. For specific loads and performances, you really must depend on your own guns and experiences in addition to the data that is shared in chat groups like this by other shooters. Le Grand

Thanks a lot.

I was mainly concerned with safety.

Besides for a .50 PRB they were loading a .498 ball with a .015 patch in a .503 bore, .526 groove barrel. I doubt if I will ever load that tightly.

So I will consider their data as ballpark figures.

Thanks Again,

Old Coot

Back