• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie $. What am I missing?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musketeer

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been on a Civil War kick recently, and so have started pricing various replica guns of the era. I've been reading lots of good stuff about Euroarms, so I focused on them. I noticed a wide discrepancy between Dixie Gun Works prices and others. Examples: JP murray musketoon at DGW: $750, at several other places (blockaderunner.com, for example): $485-520. Three band Enfield at DGW: $715, at a couple other sites: $535-575. Is Dixie doing something extra to these guns to warrant the extra cash? What's the deal? :confused:

Possibly Greed.... It always seems that they are a LOT more expensive on most things...Heck they even charge for there catalog... although it is a great catalog, especially the older ones.

Look at the Kodiak Mk IV Cabela's $3999, DGW $4500!! that's quite a difference. :surrender:

I know that they are the Best/only source for a lot PC things but I don't know how they sell a single gun, especially with everyone now having internet access.

You know, some people just don't get it....look at the Lee molds on some auction sites selling for nearly twice the retail price. Prices have been going up but the difference from my 2004 Dixie catalog and the prices shown on line are doubled, in some cases tripled. Demand and scarcity fuels a lot of the pricing, but I can't see why there is so much difference in the gun prices from Dixie and other retailers for the same guns.

I figured maybe they were having the guns specially made by the Italian companies to a higher level than the "stock" guns other places are offering. Only choice pieces of wood, lock tuning, etc. :hmm: If they're just stock Euroarms, Armi Sport, etc., I can't understand the reason either. :confused:

30 years ago Dixie was the ONLY place you could find original replacement parts, cannon, and many of the other "fringe" muzzleloading items unless you could get to Dixon's or Frienship in person. They also had the best library of reference books for sale on m/l. Dixie has NEVER been cheap, but a lot of folks had an appreciation for Turner Kirkland (who started running the business out of his car) and that has since passed to Hunter, his son. You don't go to Dixie for the best buy, you go there for the best selection.

Since the Internet popped up it is much easier to find sources for most or the items. Imagine trying to find mutton-tallow, tow or a replacement rammer for an 1817 Musket WITHOUT using the Internet. Many of us still hold a lot of loyalty to Dixie even though they're not the cheapest.

Their catalog was THE source of information for 20 years before forums like this became available.

A part of the reason for the price difference between 2004 and 2008 is the devaluation of the dollar on the European market. (The dollar is coming back in value by the way but don't expect to see any big reductions in muzzleloaders from overseas.)

Dixie, for at least the past 30 years has always had high prices on their guns. Perhaps that is why they are still around while dozens of other muzzleloader importers have gone out of business.

I think the reason they don't bother to lower their prices to compete with the other places that sell muzzleloaders is because they are the best known company. Many of the people who buy from them aren't even aware that other places sell the same guns.

Then, as anyone who has gone thru a Dixie Gunworks Catalot knows, they have thousands of things besides guns that no one else carries.

In their book section alone they offer thousands of different books. Cooking pots? Call Dixie.
Clothing, buttons, tents, solvants, Civil War Medals, spurs, knives, screw drivers, haversacks, canteens, swords, gun stock blanks, locks, triggers, inlays...

Want an original hammer for your Green Carbine or an original extractor for your Peabody Rifle? How about a replacement ramrod for your Enfield Rifle? A new trigger for your 1858 Remington? A sear screw for your 1842 Springfield? Call Dixie.
The list goes on and on, which is why I recommend to everyone who is at all interested in Muzzleloading, "get a Dixie Gunworks Catalog". :)

Although I don't like their high prices they carry so many different things that if I need something like a Tompion (A wood and metal plug for the muzzle) for my Enfield I will often go thru the pages to pick out a few other specialty items that I didn't know I needed just to make the order worthwhile to them and to me.

I'm glad Dixie Gunworks exists and if they ever go under we will have lost a valuable source of supply for our hobby.

I do wish they would lower the prices on some of their guns though. They have a bunch of dandys. :)

Zonie and Stumpkiller expressed my thoughts pretty well. I basically order from Dixie only what I can't find elsewhere and yet I do order several times a year because they do have so much stuff I can't find elsewhere. :haha:

The key to buying guns from Dixie is patience. Eventually it will go on sale to a near competitive price to other marketers. This requires loyalty -usually stemming from the fact that Dixie used to be the only one out there.

I've been a Loyal DGW man for almost 20 years & only every once in a while will I go to another supplier mostly because their more than likely going to have what I want & their customer service has always been the best IMHO.

The same goes for Cimarron and Navy Arms. I don't know if Turner Kirkland of Dixie or Val Forgett of Navy Arms was the first. Unfortunately, both couldn't find an American company to produce the M/L arms, so everything now comes from Italy (the real bad ones some years ago came from India). Investarms, Uberti, Pietta and others made a fine living out of the ignorance of American companies. Even the 3rd generation "Colt" parts are imported from Uberti (subsidiary of Beretta).

Zonie, I do agree with you and also wish their prices were a bit lower too. I have been buying from Dixie since '72...not a lot, but once or twice a year. I get a new catalog every few years just to have a recent hard copy to browse through to see what else I may "need". Amazing what parts you see that you might have a use for or to repair your latest gun that is missing a small part or screw. Emery

I like Dixie for selection too but their gun prices (if not sale items) are ridiculous. Midsouth Shooters and parts from OTHERS is where I go for guns.

I hope nobody thinks I was trying to bash Dixie or anything. I'm aware of the company history. I have an old Black Powder Gun Digest by Toby Bridges, circa 1972 that has an extensive article on Mr. Kirkland and DGW. I'm not questioning his contributions to the modern ML world by any means, I was genuinely curious whether there was anything different about some of the guns they import. Since that apparently isn't the case, the other explanations given sound quite plausible. :v :hatsoff:

Gun prices do run high as you said unless on sale. Let me see.... I did buy a Sea Service pistol kit for $19.95. Does that date me? Then there was a floor demo left hand flint .50 cal. Mountain Rifle that I snapped up REAL quick for $200. The last rifle I got was when they were first ordering the Sharps replica rifles; if you paid in advance, they knocked off $100. Had to wait a year nearly to the day before I got my 40-65. Yup, that's it for guns, but lots of parts and pieces, etc.

I like Dixie for their variety and I've actually bought a few guns from them, but only when I couldn't find them elsewhere, or when their sale price was affordable. I buy a lot of other stuff from them though. I don't see how they can make it with their high gun prices. They really need to research the market a bit and position themselves better within it.

I always consider that there's a range of prices that make up "fair market price". I won't buy anything above, or oddly enough, below, that range. Above that range and I feel ripped off. Below it and I feel I'm supporting an undercutter who is doing more damage to the market than good, even though my pocketbook benefits.

While I've always gotten great products from Dixie, their guns aren't anything special. They're the same guns sold by other dealers.

My guess would be that they calculate overhead and projected sales and price accordingly to meet a profit margin set by the board or whatever entity is in charge of finances, basic buisness 101

my guess would be that when turner ran the show it was for his love of blackpowder now that he is gone and his sons are in charge it is for the love of money.

My first trip to Dixie Gun Works was in 1965 and it was a wonderful experience. My last was in 2002 and it was also a wonderful experience made more so by the consultation with Hunter Kirkland on the parts I needed to restore an antique pistol. He is definitely a credit to his father Kirkland. I can state definitely that his passion for period arms is as great! :thumbsup: Each company must price their products to be in it for the long haul.

Back