• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Dixie PA rifle.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GANGGREEN

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Not sure why I even took this on, because I have at least 6 other much better gun projects in the works, but my brother found a Dixie PA rifle at a sale or auction somewhere and he got it for a little bit of nothing. It didn't have a lock or triggerguard, but everything else is there. It's obviously a kit that someone started to build and never finished, then they either used the triggerguard and lock for another project or put them somewhere and lost them.

I guess my question at this point is, do I try to find a lock that will fit the mortise and re-build this thing, at which point I presume it would be an OK looking rifle and a reasonably good shooter, should I take the couple of parts that I can use on other projects (notably the ramrod pipes, entry thimble, buttplate and double set triggers) and sell the stock and barrel, or should I just sell it as is for someone who's looking to learn to build a rifle and who doesn't mind purchasing a replacement lock for it or a triggerguard. I'd probably take a reasonable offer or accept something cool in trade, but the only thing that gives me pause about that scenario is that shipping is through the roof right now and it would make a reasonable/cheap project into one that's suddenly not so great.

If anyone has a similar project gun and wished to sell or trade their lock and triggerguard, I'd be all ears. I think if I can find the lock and TG that I might give it back to my brother, because it would be a good project for him to learn on and he has fewer rifles than I do (I have zero use for this, even if I fixed it up relatively nice).

Dixie1.jpgDixie2.jpgDixie3.jpgDixie4.jpgDixie5.jpg

Oh, by the way and for what it's worth, I know that they made these at different times with Japanese and Belgian barrels and even with Douglas barrels for a while back in the 70s, but this one's a Pedersoli. I'd presume that it will be a reasonably accurate barrel if put to use. Looks like it may have a patent breech of sorts, although I haven't really looked at it closely.

Thanks excess650. Personally I'd rather have the flint and I do see that they offer a Pedersoli flintlock. I guess I might have to call Dixie to see if it will work in this particular rifle/kit. Even so, at $175, plus the cost of shipping and the cost of a triggerguard, plus at least several days cleaning it up and getting it back together, I'm not sure I really want to take on this project. It's just not something that I'd typically be interested in keeping. I'm sure I could sell it for a reasonable price if I do a good job on the re-do, but like I said, I have other projects right now that I'd prefer to do.

I'll discuss with my brother to see if he's interested in purchasing the replacement lock and building it himself and if not, I may put it up on the for sale or trade forum and try to trade for something that I can use for one of my upcoming builds (or cash). I'll probably call Dixie in the meantime to see if the flintlock is an option.

If it were me, I'd spend the money and buy the parts required to finish the gun. A couple hundred bucks and you may wind up with a tack driver. Shoot it, hunt with it, enjoy it. Or you could sell it as a complete gun and make a profit over your small investment of what it took to get it up and running.

If it were me, I'd spend the money and buy the parts required to finish the gun. A couple hundred bucks and you may wind up with a tack driver. Shoot it, hunt with it, enjoy it. Or you could sell it as a complete gun and make a profit over your small investment of what it took to get it up and running.

If I build it, I won't keep it myself (though I may shoot it to see how consistent/accurate it is). I have far nicer rifles and can't imagine that I'd have any real use for this one, though I think it might be a nice option for the right person. I'm still trying to convince my brother to let me help him put it together and make it nice because he doesn't have as many options as I do for guns to use.

If for no other reason, it will give you something to do this winter.

Hee hee hee, you're kidding, right? I have no shortage of things to do this winter or anytime. I have AT LEAST 6 gun projects in my shop right now (not including this one or a Jonathan Browning mountain rifle that I expect to receive in the next few weeks), wish to build a cedar-strip canoe or kayak and I simply never, ever get bored or run out of work. Admittedly, this will be the first winter that my wife and I travel south to spend the winter as we purchased a seasonal retirement/vacation home in upstate South Carolina this spring. Because of that, I may not bring any tools or any shop projects with me, but given that the weather will be much nicer there than in northern Pennsylvania (at least from my perspective), I'll likely hike and fish a lot more than I typically would in the wintertime.

Tu
Hee hee hee, you're kidding, right? I have no shortage of things to do this winter or anytime. I have AT LEAST 6 gun projects in my shop right now (not including this one or a Jonathan Browning mountain rifle that I expect to receive in the next few weeks), wish to build a cedar-strip canoe or kayak and I simply never, ever get bored or run out of work. Admittedly, this will be the first winter that my wife and I travel south to spend the winter as we purchased a seasonal retirement/vacation home in upstate South Carolina this spring. Because of that, I may not bring any tools or any shop projects with me, but given that the weather will be much nicer there than in northern Pennsylvania (at least from my perspective), I'll likely hike and fish a lot more than I typically would in the wintertime.
Where in Northern PA are you? I grew up in Tioga County.

THAT would be a good project for someone who just wanted to build a hunting rifle.

I agree. I keep trying to convince my brother to take it on. It wouldn't be a big job, but it would be enough to teach you how they go together, to do some basic stock work, etc.. I'm still thinking about it and may or may not keep it and do something with it myself, but if anyone wants to offer a cool trade or something for it, I'm all ears (a good barrel or lock, some cool accessories, etc.). The only thing that makes me hesitate that I don't want to ship it in a haphazard manner and risk breakage, but I also don't really feel like building a crate now or paying for shipping. I like horse trading, but I'm not ready to put it on the "for sale" forum yet.

Back