• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie gun magnum 12guage pedersoli

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cody2306

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hey guys just purchased a 12 guage pedersoli off gunbroker. Now I'm researching whats needed to build my shot. I have ffg powder and caps already. I'm seeing I'm gonna need over powder wad amd over shot card amd thats a bit confusing on what I actually need. But also. My goal is to squirrel hunt and duck hunt. I know I'm gonna use bismuth for fowel and lead for squirrel. By chance can you guys state your favorite loads for squirrel and duck. I've been researching but also find it helpful to chat with people for my brain to click lmao. Thanks for the help.

Oh yeah I believe right barrel is cylinder and left is modified per dixiegun website .
Cody , from texas

Squirrels are pretty simple anything from #4-6 shot will work fine. 60-80 grs of 2f would work in your gun. You can use the Skychief loading method if you choose, but it's not the only load combo out there.
Ducks are a little more complex, you can't use lead shot legally.
Unless your gun is rated for steel shot you'll have to use a lead substitute.

The Skychief load patterns well & is very good for Turkey hunting, but impractical for a day of wing shooting or multiple shots at small game because it is a PITA to load in the field, IMHO. I just use a couple of thin overshot cards on top of the powder, then my shot charge & I hold it all in with another overshot card. Makes field loading easier, simpler & faster. Experiment with various powder/shot combinations, but a good place to start is an equal (by volume) amount of powder & shot, which is called a "square" load. More shot than powder can tighten patterns, you just have to experiment. 1 & 1/4 to 1 & 1/2 oz. of Bizmuth #3 for the quakers. 1 & 1/8 oz. of #5 or #6 for the tree rats. Use as much powder as you can without blowing your patterns up. Steel shot is a poor choice, even if your gun barrels can take it, as ML velocities are slower than modern shells & the steel will have very poor terminal energy & not be effective. Turn your cards 90 degrees to the barrel to get them past the choke, then use your finger or ramrod to flatten them out. Measure your cylinder bore to choose the correct size cards to use. Enjoy the ride!

Excellent info guys!! Thanks for speedy replies. And I will read that article as soon as I get this hose hooked up on barge so I cam sit amd research..( hehe perks of being a dockman, lots of spare time).

Most of the time I use the V.M. Starr method, with corrugated cardboard wads. Two on the powder, one on the shot. Spit on the shot if you're shooting long strings to keep the fouling soft. With the right amount of powder and shot this usually patterns well and is great in the field since you only carry one type of wad and it can be loaded through a choke.

Latest posts

Back