• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Discharge or shoot my remington 1858?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crypt0manic

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hey i'm new here! i got a remington 1858 cal 44 percision cap and ball revolver. So i got 457 round bullets. While charging the chambers with 30 grains of bp and the round bullets i realized it requiers me too much power to push them in. Some went in pretty easy but at 2 of them i was scared the loading arm that pushes the bullet into the chamber would break. I got them in enough and cut a little bit of Lead off the bullet so that the cylinder could rotate and not get stopped by the barrel. Around 3 mm i guess... I'm not sure if i should fire these bullets or if i should discharge the gun and try to get a 454 bullets to try since i'm worried the gun could break of bullets sitting too tight in the chamber i'm having difficulitys even getting some of them in? What are your thoughts? I didn't get any tools for removing the nipples yet otherwise i could remove them and try to push the bullets out but i'm not sure if i should try to just shoot them out or it could damage the gun? I'm worried they sit in too hard/tight for shooting if that's possible ?

I appriciate some help i'm new to black powder guns. And that's all we legally can own in my country....

As you san see all of the other bullets went faaar more way back then that one did and it seems pretty stuck i can't push ut in no more i'm worried the gun will break if i push harder.

Attachments

• IMG_20210730_133648.jpg
    IMG_20210730_133648.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20210730_133707.jpg
    IMG_20210730_133707.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 59
You are supposed to get a small cut lead ring shaved off when you load the round ball. Everything you are describing is normal i believe. I personally would shoot em. You are not shooting an excessive powder charge. Standard load is 28 grains i believe, normal roundball size. You can wait for someone as well to confirm what i am saying or to correct me. Good luck and enjoy the smoke! Welcome to the forum.

You are supposed to get a small cut lead ring shaved off when you load the round ball. Everything you are describing is normal i believe. I personally would shoot em. You are not shooting an excessive powder charge. Standard load is 28 grains i believe, normal roundball size. You can wait for someone as well to confirm what i am saying or to correct me. Good luck and enjoy the smoke! Welcome to the forum.

Thanks man! Yeah i heard about the lead ring. The weird thing that freaked me out is why the bullet won't get in further i thought it might be more pressure to the chamber if the bullet can get anyhow "stuck" in there and explode. That's what made me worried or in case it doesn't go in further in chamber because of a wrong bp charge since i don't put anything between the bp and the bullet but i highly doubt i put in more BP in that chamber then all the others...just got doubful since i can't get the bullet in further as the others. But probably it's just my paranoia. It was hard to press it in from the beginning all the way as far it got in.

Whenever there is a doubt about "how much powder" is in a cylinder, pull the bullet. Do you really want to risk it?

Right! That might be my paranoia but good to be safe. The reason i started thinking that is because i can't push in the bullet any further. I just ordered the stuff to remove the nipple. Probably might have it in a few days. But is that a common thing the bullet won't go all the way in even tho it's same amount of bp in every chamber and the other bullets go deeper and easier? They are all 457 bullets. That's weird to me i'm a beginner when it comes to bp stuff tho. I ordered 454 bullets to try them out and see if it's any better!

Never try removing the nipples to drive a bullet out, it’s likely you’ll damage the cylinder. The .454 ball are the correct size. Yes, shot them out.

You can shoot them without any risk. :)
The .451 or .454 will be much better if it is an Italian copy...

Not sure where they are importing the bullets from they sell where i just ordered mine. Ordered 100 of 454 bullets to try out and a tool for removing a nipple. Probably i will lower the amount of bp in that chamber because of my paranoia to be on the safe side and shoot that bullet out. 🙂

Was the gun new or used could be a bit of corrosion on the clyinders that your having trouble with, if the clyinder rotates point it down range and shoot. also were the balls bought new, or cast bye someone could be a mix of different sized balls.

Shot them all and forget it : the chamber have resized yours bullets and that is why it was hard...
the preconization for some Italians copy is .451 and .454 for the other but .457 is automatically resized when pushing them in the chambers, so no problem with that, and you can forget this small adventure...

Forgot some thing too try, remove the clyinder make sure there are NO caps on the nipples get a piece of rubber pad place a rag folded on the pad,get a short piece of dowel that will fit LOOSELY in the chamber using a plastis or rubber mallet sit the clyinder on the padding nipple side down and level gently tap the doweL on top of the ball till it seats, NOTICE THE BIG WORD HERE IS PROPER SIZE DOWEL, RUBBER MALLET AND GENTLY TAP.

As a teen I routinely poured the cylinder Full of powder on my CVA 1860 Army then crammed a ball on top, crushing the powder and getting the ball just below the surface. Then I fired her off! I didn't bother measuring the powder...I'd read somewhere you could fill the cylinders. Other than not hitting anything I had no problems, although age has brought wisdom and I don't recommend it.

My point is I feel confident you can safely fire the revolver. I shot .457 thru my Army Colt, they ALL loaded hard. I was country raised on the farm.. I just pushed harder.

If only one chamber has trouble loading maybe it was not polished as much as the others at manufacture, maybe some steel wool is in order.

Was the gun new or used could be a bit of corrosion on the clyinders that your having trouble with, if the clyinder rotates point it down range and shoot. also were the balls bought new, or cast bye someone could be a mix of different sized balls.

Naaah man it's not new. It's probably 160 years old even tho it looks pretty new. That's why i'm a bit extra careful with it. According to our stupid gun laws in sweden we can't own new produced guns. A licens is very harsh to get and the gun have to be produced before 1890 in order to be legal.

The cylinder rotates but i had to cut off pieces of lead with a knife that was sticking out from the cylinder probably just 2-3 mm in order for the cylinder to rotate

The bullets are all supposed to be 457 round lead bullets i bought them all from the same store.

As a teen I routinely poured the cylinder Full of powder on my CVA 1860 Army then crammed a ball on top, crushing the powder and getting the ball just below the surface. Then I fired her off! I didn't bother measuring the powder...I'd read somewhere you could fill the cylinders. Other than not hitting anything I had no problems, although age has brought wisdom and I don't recommend it.

My point is I feel confident you can safely fire the revolver. I shot .457 thru my Army Colt, they ALL loaded hard. I was country raised on the farm.. I just pushed harder.

If only one chamber has trouble loading maybe it was not polished as much as the others at manufacture, maybe some steel wool is in order.
Thanks for sharing the wisdom man. Yeah i heard you can fill the cylinders pretty much full that way as long the cylinder rotates and the ball is in but it's ofc not recommended.

Shot them all and forget it : the chamber have resized yours bullets and that is why it was hard...
the preconization for some Italians copy is .451 and .454 for the other but .457 is automatically resized when pushing them in the chambers, so no problem with that, and you can forget this small adventure...
Thanks man! I got ya! 🙂

I will do one of these 2 i guess.

Either just shoot them out or loosen the nipple and take out around 10-15 grains of bp and put the nipple back on and shoot i guess! 😀

Latest posts

Back