• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Discharge or shoot my remington 1858?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need some videos of you shooting them out!
Sure man! I will post it here later. Can take a few days depending on if i'm going to wait for the tools to loosen the nipple and take out about 10 grains bp for sake of safety before putting the nipple back and shooting 😀 or just shooting the way it is lol

pictures man! pictures. nothing is real without pictures!
we all want to see your 1858!

I got a starr army cal 44 as well. It doesn't function as good as the remington but i will send a pic of them both 😀 none of them is any type of copy because it's not legal owning a copy without a license here. It needs to be produced before 1980 in order to be legal. We got crazy laws over here

Attachments

• IMG_20210730_160048.jpg
    IMG_20210730_160048.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Hey i'm new here! i got a remington 1858 cal 44 percision cap and ball revolver. So i got 457 round bullets. While charging the chambers with 30 grains of bp and the round bullets i realized it requiers me too much power to push them in. Some went in pretty easy but at 2 of them i was scared the loading arm that pushes the bullet into the chamber would break. I got them in enough and cut a little bit of Lead off the bullet so that the cylinder could rotate and not get stopped by the barrel. Around 3 mm i guess... I'm not sure if i should fire these bullets or if i should discharge the gun and try to get a 454 bullets to try since i'm worried the gun could break of bullets sitting too tight in the chamber i'm having difficulitys even getting some of them in? What are your thoughts? I didn't get any tools for removing the nipples yet otherwise i could remove them and try to push the bullets out but i'm not sure if i should try to just shoot them out or it could damage the gun? I'm worried they sit in too hard/tight for shooting if that's possible ?

I appriciate some help i'm new to black powder guns. And that's all we legally can own in my country....

30 grains of what (f) black powder?

30 grains of what (f) black powder?

All i know is it's black powder. The thing is i recently bought both the guns and got the black powder with the guns for trying them out but never asked that guy what type of black powder it is. I'm new to all this with black powder guns. I never even shot the remington yet so far. Only the starr army 44

I think that I might try taking the cylinder out of the frame and using a vice with wood behind the rear of the cylinder, and hard wood to the front, push the ball into the cylinder. Also if possible, you should try to discover what you are putting in the cylinder before you pull the trigger.. I myself would fear an air space tween the unknown powder and the ball,

Well that sure answers a few variables, un-known powder, old gun, probaly over size balls. My suggestion now is take the clyinder out of the gun be sure there are no caps on the nipples and pull the loads, throw away the powder that came with the gun as well as the balls, get some real black powder and proper sized balls thouroughly clean the gun pay special attention to the charge holes in the clyinder. And do some more research on recommended loads .

I think that I might try taking the cylinder out of the frame and using a vice with wood behind the rear of the cylinder, and hard wood to the front, push the ball into the cylinder. Also if possible, you should try to discover what you are putting in the cylinder before you pull the trigger.. I myself would fear an air space tween the unknown powder and the ball,

The air space tween between the bullet and the powder in the chamber? Man it's sitting so hard i barely can push it down no more. I was afraid the loading arm on the gun would break while getting it in. That's the reason i got worried and started asking on here but as far i get it since it's already in chamber and the cylinder rotates it should shoot the bullet out as long it's lead? I'm not sure why the lead is so hard tho...bought the bullets from a gun store.

Also I doubt if the 58 is a original, also looks like a clyinder change took place some where in its life, perhaps someone else will chirp in on this.

Well that sure answers a few variables, un-known powder, old gun, probaly over size balls. My suggestion now is take the clyinder out of the gun be sure there are no caps on the nipples and pull the loads, throw away the powder that came with the gun as well as the balls, get some real black powder and proper sized balls thouroughly clean the gun pay special attention to the charge holes in the clyinder. And do some more research on recommended loads .
Oooh okay man. The balls didn't come from the seller. The balls are from a gun store. I ordered 100 round balls of 457. And about the black powder. Not sure about what type of black powders there are out there or how many but a friend checked and confirmed it's real black powder at least not pyrodex or tripple seven etc

Also I doubt if the 58 is a original, also looks like a clyinder change took place some where in its life, perhaps someone else will chirp in on this.

The seller's guess was that they probably converted the gun to another cylinder and later on put the original one back! Not sure how right that is but if it wasn't original i guess he wouldn't be able to sell it in sweden. I mean all of the copys of bp guns here are classed as all modern guns and are illegal. Would be cool if anyone could check it up! 🙂

Just took out the cylinder from the remington and tried pushing in the bullet more by hand force but it's rather leaving marks from the thing i push with then going into the chamber. Can that really happen if there is empty space in chamber?

Loading levers can break and/or the screw. It’s not that difficult to load a revolver with lead ball so figure out what all you did wrong then correct it.
What country are you in?

Sweden! Yeah it's weird i don't get what the problem is really.

Loading levers can break and/or the screw. It’s not that difficult to load a revolver with lead ball so figure out what all you did wrong then correct it.
What country are you in?
I just took apart and checked the screw. It's not in a very good shape, slightly a bit bent but still might work probably. I will get another screw and replace it in near future. But not sure in case it was like that when i got it or if i bent it while getting in that bullet....but anyways still might work it's a bit bent.

Crypt0manic, So does that mean in Sweden my Ruger old army made in 1976 and marked as such would be legal in your country?
As far as your problem goes I sort of agree with the other posters. How ever you get those chambers empty STOP. Measure that one chamber against the others and also really inspect the condition of them. I have a number of originals and the top parts of the chamber holes are all great where the balls were. Not so great where the powder was. A good pair of calipers are in order so you can check things out, including the ball OD. I would shoot out those other chambers, and since I can I would remove the stuck ball but that is just me.

Back