• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Destroying a Muzzle Loader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray-Vigo

Yankee
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted before, but here is a video depicting abuse/destructive testing of a muzzle loader. The most interesting test is the "barrel full of powder" one. Obviously, the smokeless powder test is a disaster waiting to happen.

https://youtu.be/en384qVqrug

Seen it before. Still a good example of what it takes to destroy one. I think the home made device that held the ML in place when fired full of BP did more damage than the BP it's self.

The problem with the video, is they say "muzzleloader" when they (imho) should say, "muzzle loading rifle". Why do I have that objection? I have communicated with folks who claim that if you filled a .75 caliber musket barrel with powder to the muzzle, that those thinner walls would take the pressure (no ball on top), YET none of those with whom I communicated, had ever tried such a feat.

NOW I'd say it's "even money" that a Pedersoli Bess would take the pressure, BUT the walls of that musket barrel are quite a bit thinner than the walls on the rifle used in this video..., and simply claiming without testing that firing that much powder from your Bess "won't do anything to the barrel" is foolishness. In this case with two projectiles, the fellows do a good job of demonstrating it would injure the shooter, no doubt.

LD

It is a curious test, though probably the least likely scenario. Filling the barrel 100% with powder is really a massive error. It is probably more likely some foolish person would drop 80 grains a smokeless in. I have never heard of someone dropping in a full barrel of powder, but every so often someone drops in smokeless and makes news... in a bad way. The Titegroup with obstruction test at the end is spectacular.

As a teenager, and not knowing any better I thought you just loaded your barrel from the horn, like I saw in the movies. I did it with an 8" cap pistol (no ball), and was loading at night. Just held it over my head and pulled the trigger. Big boom. Nothing more. Haven't aspired to Darwin awards since then.

I have seen a barrel 42 inch 50 filled with ffg. breeched on both ends with a touch hole for a fuze set off.

It vented all the gas thru the fuze hole. not once but twice.

It was dome by the barrel manufacture as a test and have seen the barrel still intact.

I was amazed by the barrel strength.

Many folks now shoot barrels made by them.

I do know 25 grains of bullseye will open it up.

Latest posts

Back