• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deerstalker hammer at half cock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Rummer

40 Cal.
Reaction score
When the hammer on my new Lyman Deerstalker .54 percussion is in the half cock position, it is too close to the nipple to allow me to cap the nipple. I have to thumb the hammer back to get enough space to install the cap.

Has anyone seen this before and what was done?

My wife's is the same way. But so are all my GPR's and every other one I've seen. Same in fact for others I own from TC, Traditions, CVA, GRRW. It's never seemed to be an issue for me, cuzz I don't cap at half cock. Are you sure it's a problem for you?

I have owned two TC Renegades and at half cock the hammer is to close to prime.I always pulled the hammer back to cap.

I know you folks are aware of this, but for the new owners of the TC's, Lyman's and some CVA's which have double set triggers here are some thoughts.

Most if not all of these factory guns all have a "half cock" that positions the hammer very close to the nipple. There are several schools of thought about the reasons for this but for now, just knowing that this is the case will do.

Because of the low position of the hammer when it is at half cock, capping the nipple can be a challenge.

All of these rifles with set triggers have a "fly" in their locks tumbler that allows the hammer to fall from the full cock position to the fired position without the sear getting caught in the half cock notch. (The sear is the piece of hardened steel that engages the notches on the hammers tumbler to position or release the hammer.)

The "fly" is a tiny piece of metal that can rotate back and forth. When you pull the hammer back from the fired position to the half cock position, the nose of the sear pushes the little fly back out of the way so the sear can slide into the tumblers half cock notch.
As you pull the hammer back from the half cock position, the sear starts to ride up over the fly and at a hammer position slightly above half cock, the sear totally jumps over the fly and continues on towards the full cock notch.
You should note that once this has happened, the sear will be blocked by the fly so that it cannot enter the half cock notch if the hammer is lowered again. (The only time the sear can enter the half cock notch is when the hammer is being pulled upwards from the fired position.)

The possible results of this happening is as follows:

*The hammer is in the half cock position and it is too low to allow capping the nipple.

*You pull the hammer back far enough to cause the sear to jump over the fly and hold it in this position.

*You place the cap on the nipple.

*You gently lower the hammer towards the half cock notch.

At this point one of two things can happen.
Either the sear rides over the fly and jumps the half cock notch and the hammer continues downward until it is sitting on the cap, or (and listen closely here), the sear hangs up on the fly making it "seem" that the gun is once again at half cock and relatively safe.
NOTE! If this happens, the slightest bump or jar of the gun will allow the hammer to fall freely down to hit the cap which can of course fire the gun.

The fix for this condition is to either learn just exactly how far you can retract the hammer from the half cock notch and reliably have the gun return directly to the half cock position and never exceed this distance when capping.
Or, pull the hammer all the way to full cock. Cap the nipple. Then with your thumb on the hammer spur, gently release the trigger and slowly lower the hammer down until it is sitting on the cap. Then pull the hammer back to the half cock position.

I hope this helps someone out there. :)
Have fun and be safe. :thumbsup:

I'm fortunate in that my Cabelas "Hawken" has just enough room at half cock that I can rotate the cap onto the nipple with a straight capper. It just barely clears the hammer so I don't have to mess with the hammer when capping.

Jim

I can't cap any of my rifles at half-cock. I use a Ted Cash capper. I just thumb the hammer back enough for the capper to clear, cap it, and settle the hammer back to half-cock.

HD

I have a GPR percussion which I use primarily for deer hunting. Alot of time is spent either on stand or still hunting.

Not trusting the half cock position I took a .303 British cartridge case and cut the neck off it. I then shaped it so that it friction fit over the nipple. I then drilled a hole through the side and added a thong which runs between this device and the trigger guard.

Now the procedure is to pull the hammer to full cock, cap, then place the device over the nipple. I then lower the hammer to the half cock position where the tip of the hammer nestles into the device. The device cannot fall out of position.

There is no way that thing is going accidentally discharge. As well it works well to keep the weather out. When it comes time to fire I simply bring the hammer to full cock and as I do the device drops away to hang by its thong. I"ve been using this method for a few years now and have complete confidence in it. All it took was a few minutes of my time.

cheers!

Zonie said:
"...Then with your thumb on the hammer spur, gently release the trigger and slowly lower the hammer down until it is sitting on the cap. Then pull the hammer back to the half cock position..."
Agree...IMO, it the safest way to do it...gets everything internal reset to zero, then you 'know' your condition when you come back to half cock.

Yup, that appears to be the best technique by far. My wife is just getting acquainted with her new Deerslayer 54, and it definitely requires a different move than the GPR in getting to half cock.

BTW- I think we found the right match for her after all these years. 80 grains of Goex 3f under a .530 RB and .018 ticking patch. She fired 25 shots today at 3" bulls at 30 yards. Only two were out of the black, and those just barely.

Some may heist their noses at such a short "non-traditional" barrel, but it just balances so much better for her than a long barrel. She's happy, and therfore I'm happy. Frankly I'll take her company any day over their heisted noses.

You are a lucky man BB, Glad to hear that the new rifle is working out for your wife. I also think that one must have the proper equipment too shoot at ones best.I also agree that it is the best pratice to return the hammer all the way down ,then return it to half cock.I wonder how many people have had their rifle discharge while in the half cock position? :hmm: I have never had one go off from half cock.

Thanks to this thread, an accidental discharge is less likely in our household. The Deerstalker is our first single trigger Lyman, and it's definitely not the same as their set trigger. Good info.

And thanks for the compliment SMO. I certainly do feel fortunate to have a wife who's so interested. A lot of it comes down to her having a rifle she shoots so well and is happy to carry. She's always been interested in shooting, but was really frustrated by the weight and balance of longer rifles. I'm betting with her example, some more wives will soon be shooting a Deerstalker. Its combo of weight and balance seems just right for them.

And I don't know if anyone caught it, but she shot 25 times in a single session with 80 grain charges. That speaks for itself in the comfort and fit department!

Zonie said:
Or, pull the hammer all the way to full cock. Cap the nipple. Then with your thumb on the hammer spur, gently release the trigger and slowly lower the hammer down until it is sitting on the cap. Then pull the hammer back to the half cock position.

I hope this helps someone out there. :)
Have fun and be safe. :thumbsup:

this is how I do it , seems the most reliable , no sense in taking a chance.

Back