• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer tallow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zutt-man

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Finished butchering and processing my last two does in the Kansas Antlerless Season a couple days ago and saved some fat (not caul fat or suet) to do some rendering. I filled up a 5 qt pot this morning with 1-2” chunks and let it do its thing. My plan was to use it was waterproofing for my boots and skin & lip balm, but I’m going to have a way too much for just those applications.

I have no real interest in making candles or soap, but question for you guys is what else do YOU use it for? Do you use it in cooking applications (frying, shortening, etc)? How are you storing it? Jars (seems like it may be difficult to get out of jars once it solidifies), make bars, chunks, freeze it, etc?

Works great as a patch and bullet lube. Mix with olive oil. For warm weather use less olive oil, for cold weather use more. I use it to lube my fiber shotgun wads to. If you pour it into muffin tins you can throw them into a zip lock bag and store in the freezer for years. If you don't use it up sooner! Save all the chunks and feed them to the birds.

Works great as a patch and bullet lube. Mix with olive oil. For warm weather use less olive oil, for cold weather use more. I use it to lube my fiber shotgun wads to. If you pour it into muffin tins you can throw them into a zip lock bag and store in the freezer for years. If you don't use it up sooner! Save all the chunks and feed them to the birds.
I poured some in a tin tonight for every day use/my boots. Poured the rest in a cookie sheet with wax paper placed down. Figured I’d cut it in chunks. The muffin tin is a great idea!

Back