• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer tallow!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winchester97

40 Cal
Reaction score
3 years ago, I shot a very plump doe. After skinning and butchering I kept a bunch of fat from the rump,ribs,and around the kidneys,etc. I rendered it down and got 3 quarts of nice white tallow. I have used it for candles, maxi ball lube, patch lube, excellent hard, good lathering lye soap, wad lube, cast iron skillet seasoning and work boot waterproof. Every doe since then, I have done the same, and have quite a stockpile now. I'm lucky to get 1/2 quart from most bucks, being all worn out from rut activities. The original batch has yet to spoil after being sealed in mason jars. Would be very interested to hear any other uses folks have found for deer tallow, specifically bullet lube recipes.

Attachments

• 20201227_220308.jpg
    20201227_220308.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 77
I’ve mixed it with olive oil and beeswax to make my bullet lube, but cannot remember the exact ratio of the three. It’s posted on here somewhere, wouldn’t know where to start looking though. It was something like 45/45/10. The 10 being olive oil. But honestly don’t recall. Next time I make some I’ll write it down, if’n I can remember where the dang pen is!
Walk
Btw, I still have one jar I collected from a big fat mule doe way back in about 2006 left yet unopened. Time to collect more next fall

Awesome stuff! I have looked into this as well but don’t have any deer tallow on me right now or I would give it a shot. Next year I plan on using the tallow to make homemade chapstick.

I just cut off the fat and freeze it in a ziplock bag. I use it in a suet feeder. The birds love it

Proper rendering removes almost all of the water content in the fat. You could wrap the tallow in a cloth and keep it in the cupboard for years without much, if any, deterioration. The old timers made pemmican from beef tallow, wrapped it in cotton cloth and kept it unrefrigerated for years, or, at the least, many many months. Just look at how well Bear fat keeps and what one can do with that.

Back